EHX Small Stone...

BillyK

Does the new NYC reissue suffer from the volume drop as the older ones?

As an alternative, how is the bypass on the MXR models (EVH, '74 Reissue, etc)?

dB

Silver Supporting Member
Do they all have a clicking sound that increases as you increase the rate, or is that just mine?

I have a 70's Small Stone that I sent to Analogman. The phasing is amazing, the clicking is annoying.

BillyK

How does anyone navigate these waters?
The SS has a drop, doesn't have a drop, get an AM 'cause it's modded to not have a drop, which it may not have in the first place.
Yikes!
I am looking into Retrosonic and HBE as well at the moment.

goldenboy

Can't say about a new one off the shelf, but the one I got from Analogman with his mods sounds way better than the black SS I had, and fixes the volume drop that the black one had. I also had a old one I bought used in 87 that sounded great but had a volume drop too. I bought a Maxon AD9 with his mods and that does what it says too. Also, I sent my Boss Tremolo to him for the and his mod fixes that volume drop. He does good work.

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
i've owned a few MXR's, a russian small stone, and tourboxed a HBE, and to my ears the HBE can't quite get to Small stone's level of depth/swoosh. The HBE, again IMO, is like a very tweakable, top quality MXR 90 (or maybe 100).

i'm reconsidering a small stone, or maybe an HBE. so i'm watching this thread closely......

cheers

Fifthstone

Gold Supporting Member
My Small Stone reissue has a very slight volume drop. Not enough to be an issue. I did have one unit which I received new and didn't have much effect to it (defective). The replacement unit works fine so far. So maybe some reliability issues as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom