Ehx Soul Food = Fail

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cshivvers, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jay42

jay42 Member

OP -- did you actually pay cash for the thing? I only use cash for lunch anymore.

Anyway, contact EHX and see if they'll help you. I can't see why they wouldn't if you can describe what happened well enough that they can send a part or explain the fix.

2. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

And you know this how? Because you've tried every MXR pedal? Also, MXR doesn't make any $60 pedals.

Your bias is obvious here.

3. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

I would assume that EHX would just replace the pedal rather than send a part or explain a fix. These little pedals appear to be made in China, so it would make sense simply to replace a defective one.

4. thecornman

thecornman Member

Most of the gigging guitar players I know have no idea how to use a soldering iron. They spend their time learning new songs, writing new songs and praticing their instrument. They want to be able to buy a new pedal and be able to plug it in and play it. Not have to take it apart and fix it on arrival. I am sure if they were bedroom players with no want to play with or for others they would have lots of time to learn the ins and outs of all their toys.

5. icecycle66

icecycle66 Member

Does that mean they also don't know how to connect their amp to a house system, change their strings, adjust intonation, or fix a wobbly output jack?

If you use a tool, it's your responsibility to know how to care for and maintain it. If the pedal is that important to you then it is your problem that you don't know how to make sure it is functioning properly. It sucks that sometimes they come messed up.

Do you leave your guitar exactly how it is, other than adjusting your volume and tone knobs, from the time it shows up at your house?

6. luv

luv Member

^^ Point taken, but it isn't very difficult to learn. In a pinch it can help a ton. If "gigging" means that they have their own guitar tech, then no need to bother.

Definitely a difference between DOA and "it broke".

7. tommygunn1986

tommygunn1986 Member

I still want one, although I think I'm just gonna go straight for the JHS modded one

8. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

2 classic overdrives
    classic distortion
    analog chorus (was actually $69 shipped on amazon)
    dyna comp

I'm not allowed to dislike a brand that has subpar QC. I'm not allowed to support an OP that had a similar experience.

Hell, a $20 GC special BBE american Metal pedal isn't going to break.

I'm done.

9. thecornman

thecornman Member

No I don't leave my guitar exactly how it is, because the five guitars I use are all parts-casters I put together myself. I wasn't talking about myself. I do know how to fix things myself, but that is probably from the years that I took off of playing out when I had the time to learn those things.

My point was that most gigging guys I know do not know how to do these things. Just, because they are not a gear nerd they are not somehow less superior then those out there that are.

Personaly I would rather get attention for my skills as a player by real people in the real world then be the guy on some forum with a bunch of strangers. Just like I get more from being with a real woman in person then I would from online dating with someone across the world.

If people are okay with buying some pos that doesn't work when they get it new and fixing it themselves then all the power to them. Some of us do not see that as being a good thing.

10. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Member

What do you expect for $65

In the time spent blabbing on here you coulda fixed it....

Get a soldering iron and fix it, you'll feel a sense of achievement.

11. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

That's probably for the better. I wasn't aware that MXR has only sold five pedals in it's entire existence. I was also unaware that you've effectively played every EHX pedal to compare the QC to MXR.

Maybe next time throw in caveats like "In my experience..." or "YMMV" or something like that. Saying something "will break" or "isn't going to break" based on your anecdotal experience is as foolish as me saying that I'll never buy a stratocaster cause I went to a show one time and one of the guitarists had a pickup go out on him...those stratocasters, they don't build 'em right. I've had multiple Les Pauls that have never had problems....and so on.

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

No problems with my Soul Food so far. Has been on my board for some weeks now.

But, if you have a True Bypass Switch develop a short, then watch this excellent video on how to clean the switch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhI2Zmdal7M

13. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Hope this hasn't already been addressed..but the JHS mod doesn't upgrade the switch and pots , does it? Btw, I've had mine since it was released with no problems.

14. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

They, Electro Harmonix, have a "One Year Limited Warranty" . Limited meaning, if you use if use it for a Chalk Block for a Big Rig and it breaks....well, your bad. But it this case....I think you're covered if you filled out the Warranty Card, followed instructions, then got an RA to return it.

15. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

FWIW, the only pedal (out of hundreds) that I've had that had problems was an MXR. Switch went bad two weeks after I got it back in '05 I think. And that list includes five or six EHX pedals.

Not really. Any decent iron will work for just about anything. A bigger tip may be handy for some uses, but not 100% necessary.

16. cshivvers

cshivvers Member

I bought it on the googlewebz but I'm pretty tidy electronically. I keep my email very clean because of reasons :). I even delete my trash. I'm electro-paranoid I guess. I'll see if I happened to stick my invoice in its packaging. Either way, it mod time!!!! I just learned how to solder from my grandpa last weekend(I was born in the late 80's, don't hate). I'd rather mod, crush, and suck the life out of this thing than my golden horsy! That's what I got it for, but I just thought this issue was silly beings the thing has been well takin care of despite my bad intentions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Mothman

Mothman Member

I love the Internet! All-digital, ones and zeroes, black and white.

"My EHX pedal broke. Ergo, they all suck." And 50% of the posters will agree!

"My EHX pedal didn't break. Ergo, you're a whiner." And 50% of the posters will agree!

Sorry to the OP; it does seem a little soon for a major failure. For the record, my own SF has NOT broken. But it will, because EVERYTHING eventually breaks. It's the law of Entropy. **** falls apart. I'm not getting a lot of meaningful data from this thread about EHX's general level of QC versus any other manufacturer. My old Boss, DOD and Digitech pedals all broke. As have some handwired boutique jobs I've purchased. Others have yet to do so, for which I'm thankful. The best you can do, outside a warranty repair, is to secure the services of a good electronics nerd, or buy from a company like Voodoo Labs, who will fix their stuff, no questions asked, whether you're the original owner or not.

18. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Sure, but when you buy a klone because it's the cheapest one available, from a company with a solid reputation for problems just like this, know that there is a relatively high risk it will break quickly and that you either need to fix it, get it fixed, or make a warranty claim. I'm not slamming EHX - it's just that
    in some cases you get what you pay for.

19. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Mr OP, sir:

Have you been able to determine HOW the power jack failed?
    I mean, can you see any physical damage? Are the contacts not contacting?
    Are any solder joints deficient or fractured? Has the pcb (or traces) fractured?
    Is the plastic housing fractured?
    All of these are easily checkable with an ohmmeter and a magnifying glass.

As one who has done failure analysis, these things interest me.
    They should interest EHX also, when you contact them for warranty service.
    If they do have a quality problem in this line, they will need all the help you can offer so as to reduce their failure rate.

20. cshivvers

cshivvers Member

Only thing I can't check off that list is the ohmmeter part. All else looks fine Mr. Replier :). I'm not too worried about it though. Thanks for the advice! I'll let EHX know I had the problem, but I dont expect much. I just want them to make sure it doesn't happen often or much at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk