• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

EHX Soul Food/Klon honeymoon report

echodeluxe

okay so ive had the soul food for a while, played a few shows with it, recorded with it, and compared it directly with a silver original Klon.

in general, i like it. it sounds good. its a little bit different than my Escape Velocity.

with my 66 Ampeg Gemini 1, it sounds good as a boost with the gain below 9 o'clock. if the gain is any higher, it sounds like honky crap. same deal with the original silver klon. im guessing the amps own dark midrangey character makes it a not so pleasing match with the mids heavy gain of the klon. oh well. still works well as a boost. a boost with a treble roll off. cool.

with my 76 Roland Jazz Chorus, its awesome in all settings. with this amp i use it in the "Nels Cline" setting: gain at 2 o'clock, volume at 11, treble at 1. nice and thick sounding single notes and a good clear overdrive sound. cleans up nice too. since the jazz chorus has a very flat eq response, anything this pedal (or any pedal) adds is usually really nice. stacked with my escape velocity in the flat response setting and dang. almost killed my desire for a rat. almost.

does it sound identical to the original klon? yeah pretty much. there are slight differences but thats gonna be the type of pots and the tolerances of all of the parts combined. you can see that proven in the ktr. same exact circuit, but it sounds a tiny hair different than the original because even in the same run same batch same day opamp/resistor/capacity, there is built in variance in the smallest degree. well, it adds up.

does it matter? **** no. play your stupid box. shut up. no one cares.

bottom line: it sounds good. i like it. is it the best overdrive ever? no. does it sound like a klon? yes. is it identical to a klon? HOW WOULD YOU KNOW.

Last edited:

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Ill add that its my favorite boost for fuzz I've had. Putting it after fuzz helps the fuzz cut through very well! It helps push some of the midrange frequencies and cut a little bass without making the treble muddy. It doesn't destroy the character of the fuzz, but changes things enough to make a big difference. Clarity, with a little extra grit and volume. A simple task for a pedal to perform, but its by far the best I've tried for this

Spawn

okay so ive had the soul food for a while, played a few shows with it, recorded with it, and compared it directly with a silver original Klon.

in general, i like it. it sounds good. its a little bit different than my Escape Velocity.

with my 66 Ampeg Gemini 1, it sounds good as a boost with the gain below 9 o'clock. if the gain is any higher, it sounds like honky crap. same deal with the original silver klon. im guessing the amps own dark midrangey character makes it a not so pleasing match with the mids heavy gain of the klon. oh well. still works well as a boost. a boost with a treble roll off. cool.

with my 76 Roland Jazz Chorus, its awesome in all settings. with this amp i use it in the "Nels Cline" setting: gain at 2 o'clock, volume at 11, treble at 1. nice and thick sounding single notes and a good clear overdrive sound. cleans up nice too. since the jazz chorus has a very flat eq response, anything this pedal (or any pedal) adds is usually really nice. stacked with my escape velocity in the flat response setting and dang. almost killed my desire for a rat. almost.

does it sound identical to the original klon? yeah pretty much. there are slight differences but thats gonna be the type of pots and the tolerances of all of the parts combined. you can see that proven in the ktr. same exact circuit, but it sounds a tiny hair different than the original because even in the same run same batch same day opamp/resistor/capacity, there is built in variance in the smallest degree. well, it adds up.

does it matter? **** no. play your stupid box. shut up. no one cares.

bottom line: it sounds good. i like it. is it the best overdrive ever? no. does it sound like a klon? yes. is it identical to a klon? HOW WOULD YOU KNOW.
Same deal as with your Ampeg. Any higher than 10:00 on the drive and I get the same midrange honk. I'm using it as a EP type tone enhancer last in chain and it really improves all my drive & fuzz pedals I have set before it. Like adding spice to your tone :D

echodeluxe

Same deal as with your Ampeg. Any higher than 10:00 on the drive and I get the same midrange honk. I'm using it as a EP type tone enhancer last in chain and it really improves all my drive & fuzz pedals I have set before it. Like adding spice to your tone :D
Yeah. it's a good boost with the ampeg. it really sounds good as an overdrive wit my jc120

Trending Topics

Top Bottom