• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

EHX Soul Food - True Bypass or Buffered

rambleon

I was wondering if people had a preference for running the pedal in either true bypass mode or buffered mode, and why.
I got mine today, and I'm going to play around with it at home for a week before adding it to my main pedal board that lives in the studio. I currently have a FET line buffer at the beginning of my chain ( I have 10 pedals on my board) and plan on placing the soul food after my 3 dirt boxes, which would place it somewhere in the middle of the chain.

fahrner

I left mine in true bypass mode. It sits in the middle of my pedal chain (~10 pedals) which has a buffer at the front end, so, no need for me to add another buffer.

rambleon

Cool...your situation sounds almost identical to mine. Thanks!

I left mine in true bypass mode. It sits in the middle of my pedal chain (~10 pedals) which has a buffer at the front end, so, no need for me to add another buffer.

jurfin

before the soul food - i picked up a JHS little black buffer. i have posted this in a previous soul food thread, but it doesnt hurt - considering you made a thread about it and all.

the buffer has been on the sidelines since i got the SF. it is probably gong to get sold pretty soon here.

lets think about that for a moment - the 60 dollar overdrives buffer sounds as good or better than the 80 dollar buffers buffer...

first in line - it sounds great!

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
I use the SF as a clean boost. I keep it set to TB. I have an AF 1 Klone too and have it after the SF. The AF 1 is buffered.
Part of the appeal of the SF was it has a TB option.

ken374

I have been using a FET buffer first in line but i like the SF buffer better! I run it first also

Wibcs39

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but i didn't want to start a new one. I got a Soul Food about 3 weeks ago and used it in TB mode since I got it because I already have a TU2 first in my chain as a buffer. I have been doing TU2>Cylde Standard Wah> Sparkle Drive>Soul Food>Carbon Copy.

I liked it in TB mode because in the past I have used other TB OD pedals in that spot in my chain and it always worked great. The bad news is, in TB mode, the Soul Food pops incredibly loud for the first 3-6 times I hit the switch. Like so loud that it explodes through my amp. After that all is fine. But this still annoys that hell out of me.

So I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on using the Soul Food in buffered mode in that spot? I have it like that now but I am at home and won't really get to truly test it at the right volume until I hit the practice space in a couple days.

I have been trying to read and understand the role of a buffer in the chain but honestly it ends up sounding like a lot "this method works for some people, but the opposite works for others". And I get that I need to experiment for myself. But still, any info would be appreciated!

ry-guy

Just try it. I put mine first but if there is already a buffer at the front I don't think it should make much difference. Normally one or two different buffers is fine....more than that may Jack up your tone. I've normally had a buffer at the front of the board and even one at the end of the board since I have longer cable runs to my amp.

Wibcs39

Thanks for the reply! That is pretty much the plan right now to just go for it and see what happens. I am not a real tech savvy guy and I really don't understand the buffer concept very well, and the little i do understand makes it hard for me to understand when a buffer would be a BAD thing.

Wibcs39

Anyone else have any advice? I realize this is probably a topic that has been discussed a lot on here but I haven't really found an answer that relates directly to my situation.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone else have any advice? I realize this is probably a topic that has been discussed a lot on here but I haven't really found an answer that relates directly to my situation.
Just put in buffered mode, that may potentially help with the pops. Since you only have one other buffer in the chain, its certainly not gonna hurt anything

Trending Topics

Top Bottom