EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi? Or regular Deluxe Muff Pi?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blingdogg, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

There's been not too much talk about this pedal since it was announced lol, so I'm curious what your opinions are, for those who tried it?

Currently I have a regular big box NYC Big Muff Pi and have been thinking of getting one of the newer EHX offerings, and this one has caught my interest. I like tons of tweaking options, which this and the regular Deluxe Muff Pi have. BUT the latter can apparently get close to the Soviet, Op Amp, Triangle, etc.... tones so maybe it's more versatile?

Would you recommend this, or the regular Deluxe Muff Pi? In terms of tone and versatility.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    scolfax likes this.
  2. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

3. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I have a Deluxe Big Muff also and curious.

I do like the regular Russian better than the New York. So I'm thinking the Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff would be interesting.

Blingdogg and AXXA like this.
  4. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I love the Sovtek Deluxe. Haven’t played the regular Deluxe, but I don’t like my NYC much, so I’m pretty sure I’d prefer the Sovtek

Blingdogg and stephen sawall like this.
  5. Axe_34

Axe_34 Member

I have both and prefer the Sovtek version for a couple of reasons. I really like the blend control so you can add a bit of clean signal. I also like the core tone better -- with the mids control on it sits better in the mix than the standard Deluxe.

Blingdogg, AXXA and stephen sawall like this.
  6. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Thanks for the replies and sharing your opinions. I do like my big box NYC, just wish it could be clearer sometimes (note separation). Perhaps the wicker and mids options on deluxe Muffs could fix that a bit.

From what I've heard the Sovtek Deluxe sounds good and is definitely worth trying out. I'll probably get it; it'll be a different flavour from my NYC Muff for sure. From the few reviews and opinions I've seen, everyone likes it. So I don't think I can go wrong.

AXXA likes this.
  7. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I had a EH BMP w/ tone wicker, also had a bass deluxe BMP and I have a green Russian. I liked them all, really loved the bass deluxe BMP, it sounded so good and I heard it was close to the sound of the green Russian, when the GR Muff came out I did compare them, and the sound was close, and I liked the smaller format so I sold the bass deluxe BMP

Blingdogg likes this.
  8. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

I just spent an hour with my deluxe muff and the Russian one would have to be pretty amazing to beat it.

Blingdogg likes this.