Ei 12AX7 variant

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Jun 17, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just picked up 2 Edicron labeled Ei 12AX7's. First Ei's Ive seen with double supported halo and copper support rods.[​IMG]

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Must be older ones. Are they microphonic yet?

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Actually they both are very low microphonically speaking. Gentle tapping while in the V-1 in my JSX is barely audible. Ei's are always a crap shoot as far as microphonics go for me. Ive got two GE branded Ei's that wont work in the V-!(too microphonic), 2 "Westinghouse" Ei's that are very quiet, 3 New Gold Elites that are worthless (very microphonic) and now these which are great.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Typically, even the ones that start out ok don't last very long. That's why I don't bother with them any more.

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Mike, you talking about the older ones? You mean their microphonics issues were as bad in the '70s and '80s as they are today?

I find that hard to believe, but if its true, I guess it explains how they continue going on with current-production practices: its an entrenched tradition.

- T

6. goneracin

goneracin Member

I have some old ei's that are philips labled that sound killer, and arent micro. I have a couple of new ones also, but they are few and far between. Damn shame, as a good EI sounds killer, but thye usually are either microphonic, have a terrible AC hum, or are very unbalanced side to side.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

No, I was talking about EIs in general. Maybe the modern ones are worse, I haven't seen enough old ones to gather any stats.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK so much as for the Ei micro chatter...has anybody seen an Ei like these?