Ei EL84EG tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jockman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. jockman

jockman Member

What are your opinions on these tubes?
    I want a BIG CLEAN sound, will these do the job, or any recommendations?
    (for Park 20w combo)

Jon

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

What speaker does it have - G12M-25?

If so, you'll get more improvement in headroom and 'big' clean tone by changing it to a G12H-30 - way more than any tube change. The EIs are good tubes, but they won't make a huge difference on their own (not unless the old ones are well past it, anyway).

3. jockman

jockman Member

Thanks John, the speaker is a Fane Classic, it "handles" 150 watts. I have GT EL84Y's in at the moment, they distort pretty quickly, I was looking for the reverse.

Jon

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Some observations, from owning several 20w amps (2xEL84) ...

A big clean sound is not what these 20w amps do. You need more wattage to stay clean, as you turn up.

Given that your Park is 20w, some things may help -

- get a 2x12 or 4x10 cab. More surface area pushing more air seems louder.

- Groove Tubes tubes have "hardness ratings" - see if you can order a pair of EL84s rated 8, 9, or 10. They won't break up as fast.

- You might try a pair of Russian made EL-84M's. These are mil-spec tubes used in hi-fi work. The good news is they are very stiff and don't break up fast. The bad news is they don't sound too great.

But for a big clean sound, you may need more watts.

Kiwi

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

GT EL84Ys are EIs, as far as I know! The 'Y' stands for Yugoslavia.

If you want the cleanest, cleaerst EL84s with the most headroom, you probably want NOS JAN/Philips 6BQ5s, or possibly even 7189As (I think the pin connections in an old Park are compatible, but I'm not 100% sure - there is a slight difference between the tubes which means they won't work in some amps).

I don't know the exact spec for that speaker, but from memory it's a fairly clean, sensitive speaker, so that's probably not the problem...

But as Kiwi says, you simply aren't going to get a really big clean from that amp anyway, even if it could be improved a bit.

What you want is the Park 25 I have ;).

(Have a look in the TheAmpNerd's Marshall reverb/trem 20 thread if you didn't see it - I think that one is spoken for already though.)

6. jockman

jockman Member

Thanks again for the replies, The Ei valves are due today.

My Park is a great amp, it does go loud and stays pretty clean, just thought I could squeeze more clean from it.

I am getting round to building a 2x12 cab, I have a pair of celestion G12-65's that I will use, so it should shove more air out. I will keep you informed.
    (By the way John, My Park is better than yours:D )

Jon

7. jockman

jockman Member

I have the new EL84's, put them in, can't hear any difference. BUT, that is at room volume, maybe when it starts cooking there will be some difference.

I have some pics of the Park here http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jonroberts/

The thing is so simple but has a great tone.

What part of Scotland are you in?

Jon

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Roslin, just south of Edinburgh.

(Ever read the Da Vinci code? ;) :rolleyes: The village is full of tourists with copies of it...)

That does look a cool amp. It's quite a bit different from the one my dealer guy has - his is much smaller and brown, and I'm pretty sure (though not 100%, it's a few years since I've seen it and my memory is going a bit! :() the controls - just volume and tone I think - are under the back edge, not facing upwards, so it just looks like a little cabinet from the front.

Marshall seemed to use the Park brand to try out any new/odd/cheap ideas they had (although some of them turned out quite cool) or to use up factory left-overs without wanting to badge them as Marshalls. I suspect (if you've read the other thread you'll know why) that the Park 25 I've got may be a salvaged factory reject.

That isn't quite the model of Fane I was thinking of BTW, those are a bit tight and stuffy-sounding when not driven harder than that amp will be capabe of. I think you'd be better off with a G12H-30...

9. jockman

jockman Member

Edinburgh, Blah, I'm a Glaswegian. :D :D

As for the Fane, well as the amp came with it I'd have to say it sounds no' to bad, it has a good dispertion and can certainly handle the very conservatively rated 20watts.
    I now have an empty 2x12 combo that I will use with the pair of G12-65's I have, don't know to much about them, except they are pretty highly rated among tone geeks.
    I will keep you informed.

Jon:)