Ei etch code interpretation?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Jul 28, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Wondering if anybody knows Ei etch codes. Just got a few in with 2A1 (top line) and Ei symbol 9 J on the bottom line. thanks Bob

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I think the codes are translated (in Yugoslavian) as follows:

"Y-o-u b-o-u-g-h-t c-r-a-p-p-y t-u-b-e-s y-a-n-k-e-e" :)

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK I can take a joke but still thats not very helpful. I like the sound of my old stock Ei's. They also seem much better as far as microphonics and durability goes. I think the new ones are crap but not the older ones. I have a bunch of them and they all quiet and sound good.

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

ROFLMAO I tried a bunch of Ei tubes for a while and I had so many bad ones I
    couldn't take it anymore.I did like the tone though.Again no help to you.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nope no help. FWIW-I have a bunch of new stock Ei's that are worthless too. I really like the old ones though. Are you refering to them?

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

So, when did you get these magical "OLD STOCK" EIs?

7. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

No.I was referring to the new ones.Wish I had some old ones because I really did like the tone.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Magical? OK.....I dont remember referring to them as such. My favorite older ones I have sound good and are very quiet-thats all. They have copper support rods and double supported getter wires unlike any of the newer Ei's Ive seen. I keep my eye out for similar ones. Unfortunately I got a few that look like newer construction and was wondering if I could date them thats all geez!

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

What I was wondering was, if you could shead some light on the vintage of the good ones by correlating the date of purchase with possible date (or latest possible date) of manufacture.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have seen 3 slight variations of the Ei's. The best of which are the afore mentioned copper support rod/double getter support type.Ive purchased them all off EBay so I cant correlate the dates at all. Hence the etch code questions.

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Gotcha! I've had some EIs branded Philips which seemed better than the rest but I hadn't noticed structural differences, though, I wasn't really looking.

I've also had some labeled Philips that were just as horrible as most of the new ones.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Heres a pic of the copper support rod/double support getter. These are very low in microphonics and most different structurally compared to other Ei's I have. I was hoping to shed some light on the ages latest ones Ive got, others in my collection and these.[​IMG]