Ei Gold 12AX7's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Nov 21, 2005.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you don't mind microphonic tubes, they're great!

I used to carry them but gave up after having 40 out of 100 rejects in the last batch I bought. Even the "good ones" don't seem to last very long before they go microphonic.

In new production 12AX7s, the new Tung Sol Reissues seem to be the best.

3. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

I second Mike's comments about the EI tube. I bought some and couldn't use them due to the microphonics.

-Tony

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thanks- FWIW Im looking for something with less highs or smoother highs with good mids and bottom . Ive read good things about the Ei's if you got a good one. I tried JJECC83's that many seem to like and while they were smoother and rounder they seemed almost too dull on top.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Please do tell. I usually use Shungnang, EH or JJ, so how does the new Tung sol compare sound wise? I have also heard good things about the winged "c" 12ax7, have you heard it?

6. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I'm with Mike on this. In a huge NOS junky, but absolutely love the new Tung Sols. I've been using them in my higher-gain amps and they sound very warm and smooth with plenty of gain. The break-up is very pleasing to the ear. I do like the originals better, though.:p

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

That definately sounds like what Im looking for.:) Guess I'll have to order some! BTW- Any "affordable" NOS I can try?

8. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

You can get some ANOS (Almost New Old Stock) RCA's at KCA pretty reasonable (check out Blue Strats sig). There's other ANOS tubes there as well. If you're just experimenting and don't care about the labels being perfect, that's a good way to go.

9. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK I almost bought some of these but got some Ruby silver specials (STR 7025 ? ) instead.. I like them alot, for my amp atleast the best way I can describe them is they sound more "exciting ".
    I've heard Rivera users liking the Tung Sol in their amps, and have heard others say that the Tung sol has a swirly upper midrange or something like that.....this is just heresay.

what amp you have them in again?

10. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I'm using them in a Diezel Herbert. I've also tried them in my Boogie Mk III. I've yet to try them in my vintage stuff, though I'm well set with NOS in them. I didn't notice what could be called a swirly mid-range, but a more creamier mid-range with a smooth top-end. Nothing harsh, just a nice balanced consistency like a good mousse.;) :D LOL, it's too difficult for me to describe these things. I was trying out a bunch of tubes one day and popped the TS's in and instantly liked what I heard. Honestly, new production preamp tubes are fairly cheap, you should buy a few makes and use your own ears. Don't rely on mine. :D

11. alanfc

alanfc Member

yes indeed this is my plan, I've already gone through the Ruby 7025's and like them,
    Next on to Tung Sol and the new JJ 803s.
    :cool:

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

See Argonaut's comments on the Tung Sol Reissues.

The winged C 12AX7s had microphonic issues early on and I've been scared to try them. At the quantities I have to buy to make $3 on a tube, I can't afford to make many mistakes.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Thanks for reminding me about these. I was out, got some more in but haven't updated my website to indicate that they're back in stock. [Edit] Just fixed the website.

Also consider the ANOS GEs for $15 a pop. You can't go wrong at that price.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just got the Ei's I ordered. Nothing to rave about tone wise yet. guess i have to play thru them some more. Also got some JJ ECC803's . Not bad almost sound like 12AT7's gainwise. Significantly lower than the rest of the 12AX7's I have. I dont know I pulled out my JJECC83s's again and put them in my V-2 and V-3 with a ECC803 in the V-1 and it sounds best so far. I thought they were to dull before but as long as its not in the v-1 I guess thats not the case. Ive got to order some Tung Sols's and maybe some ANOS stuff .:)