• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

EJ Strat & American Standard Strat

dankayaker

I just picked up a beautiful 2008 American Standard Strat and am wondering how it compares to an EJ Strat. I must say that this AM Stand. sounds as good or better than any other boutique Strat I've owned. I'm not sure I like the 9.5 radius though . ..the 12 is more to my liking. How does the EJ differ in terms of playability and tone from the Am Standard ?

Just about everything but the shape is different.
Well said.

The Eric Johnson (maple board one, at least) had a quartersawn neck and to me that's a "wild card". Good ones, bad ones. Nice neck shape, though.

In every other possible respect, the EJ (new versions and old) are better in every respect in which they differ from the Am Std. (sorry)

Still, I passed up a new old stock chrome red EJ at one of the GCs for $999 and it was a decent one. Hang around long enough and you will find nice examples of just about any model.

nezzjo

When the EJ's first were out I was able to test 1 the neck was really big to me.

I am used to the 9.5 radius of the AM DLX strats I own.

Very nice guitars but my hands are better suited to the smaller C neck of the AM DLX.

BarkingTree

The EJs are nicely finished , Ive heard some are hit and miss for tone, I dont know if thats accurate. Thats a very glossy 12 neck on those
and the PUPS are special spec. I like a more traditional radius.
Some have said the string tension is higher on the EJ. Stiffer strat
but low action.

LReese

They're like two different flavors of ice cream. I really like the feel of the 2 point vibrato on the American Standards though the Vintage sounds better. Also prefer bigger neck shapes.

The AS is more the evolution of the Strat vs the EJ which is based on a vintage, but having specific mods/specs that EJ likes. I remember when adding brass parts were popular, as well as Floyd Roses - we've had those iterations of Strats from the factory, too.

No reason why there won't be excellent AS Strats out there - might require a little extra setup/fit and finish work here and there.

strat6866

I love my 2008 American Standard, great neck and fretwork and nice pickups that seem to handle O/D better than the older ones.
Traded my original EJ for this AS plus a Legacy.

Last edited:

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
I've had my EJ strat going on 3 years now. I think it is one of the best production strats Fender has on the market. Once it is set up to your liking it will be hard to put down. Although I did play a road worn 60's strat on Friday that was really nice. I'm not a fan of the 7 1/2" radius but they have taller frets and it feels like a 10" radius. Fender is really putting out some good production guitars as of late. I agree with the above poster, there are good examples of each model floating around. I'm sure there is an American Standard that could rival an EJ.

pushdrops

rosewood EJ's are really nice - i have one of the early EJ's, have played many over the past few years, but the new rosewood's i like even more - are even more resonant, too bad they are hard to find and the price is at least $2,250 ($2,510 M.A.P)

the roadworn's are nice with med jumbo frets

Last edited:

Kitarist

How can you even compare those twwo. EJ is the only new age Fender guitar that is worth to buy right now. (Sound,Quality...)

strat6866

I must say that my 2008 American Std Strat is much closer sounding to my latest EJ now that I upgraded the pups to Fralin VHs. I'm not sure I would be able to choose just one of these if I "had" to. I love them both, very nice guitars.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
........... After the buying experience, the wildwood became my favorite guitar dealer because of their fast, nice service and good products.
I agree 100% - I've turned a few friends on the Wildwood and all have been extremely happy and got fantastic deals.

I'm glad they are out in CO and I live in NJ ;)

Trending Topics