EJ Strat vs Suhr Classic, Anderson, Classic...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soundhound, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Grosh, Melancon, etc...

I'm thinking of springing for an EJ. But it dawned on me for that kind of dough I could get a used boutique strat. I'm wondering how the EJ compares to the vintage-y creations of Grosh etc.

What say ye?

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have owned 2 Grosh Rc's, One was magic and I really should not have sold it. I have played a few Suhr's as well, and one was majic as well. In the end, you need to play all of them if possible. I played an EJ exactly like mine other than the set up. The neck felt exactly the same and the weight was real close, but I like mine better. I am sure it is more in how it is set up than anything else.

The EJ cost me $1500 out the door, brand new from the local GC. The local mom/pop fender dealer could not get an EJ in for several months:mad:

Are you looking for vintage tone or more modern?

3. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

Nash. I almost bought Suhr Scott Henderson. The Suhr was great, I just preferred the features and vibe the Nash has. Kinda' of an apples vs. oranges thing. The EJ's are very nice also. I prefer nitro finished guitars..personal preference again.
    Hipster nails it...modern vs. Traditional

4. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I recently got a chance to play a EJ overnight and compare it to my Suhr Classic that is the same wood combination (alder with solid maple neck). The EJ was on par wioth the SUhr tonally, with the Suhr having a little more kick and the EJ sounding slightly more "vintage". The EJ neck carve was similar to the 56 Big V neck on my Suhr. The things that turned me off about the EJ were the gloss on the fretboard, the frets (shorter than the 6105s on my Suhr) and the fact that the fit and finish of the EJ (while great for a production Fender) wasn't at the level of the Suhr. Still, for the price the EJ is a killer guitar, and if I coudn't have the Suhr it would be at the top of my list for a good Strat. It's kind of like everything I always wanted a 57ri to be when I had those.

Now to answer your main question, I would go for a used Suhr, Anderson or Grosh for the same price before I'd buy a new EJ Strat.

5. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I saw a few killer deals on used mint EJ Strats on ebay, so it is something you may want to consider. The gloss neck on mine hardened after a few weeks and some light playing so I would not be so concerned about that unless you have to have a satin finish.

6. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I haven't played a Suhr, but I have played on and owned a few TA's, great guitars in their own right. But, I just purchased an EJ strat. Killerr guitar with a great vibe, plus call me a traditionalist, but it says Fender on the headstock and I like that. The resale on the Ej's ain't to bad for a new production guitar either. $.02

7. emjee

emjee Member

Now idnt that somethin'? Just shows how guitarists tastes differ, because I find I like to play a strat better when they have the gloss. Did they only do that certain years? It is slipperier, so I can do long lined runs a lot easier and with much less "slop". Of a course a primo setup is mandatory.

MG

8. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I think the tinted gloss is kinda classy myself...:JAM

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

It's all a matter of taste, but I love my EJ. The note articulation on it is absolutely fantastic. The setup was spot on out of the case, and the finish is wearing nicely after only a couple of months of relatively heavy play. As was stated earlier, it definitely has a more vintage vibe to it, so if that's not what you're looking for it's probably not for you. The guitars you're considering IMO are kinda apples and oranges. While I love to play Andersons and Suhrs, they don't really feel like a strat to me. Not a bad thing...just a different thing.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

In my opinion Suhrs, Andersons, and Grosh guitars are a step or two up above the Fender EJ in quality, especially in regards to fretwork but also tone...