EJ strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I played a EJ rosewood board strat at GC. Wow, those things resonante and sound fantastic ! That was only playing it acoustically, but of the 10 or so strats i picked up, nothing came very close. Is that the 1/4 sawn factor? Can't be the size, as i've owned and played some baseball bats in my time and none were that resonant and round sounding. if so, what other strats are 1/4 sawn if any?

2. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

They are nice necks! The only other Strats (or Teles) I've seen with quarter sawn are custom shop.

3. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Got one....love, love it. I'd say the resonance is a couple factors....I think they still weight restrict those, so lighter wood. 50's contours so they feel smaller, no paint between the block and bridge plate. Winds up being cumulative of several factors.
    Nice guitars.

4. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

The bridge is different and the finish is thin nitro which I think also contribute to the resonance. EJs are great Strats. I'm a Les Paul guy and I went through a half dozen American Standards that I wasn't happy with before I settle on the EJ which feels and sounds way better than any Am Std.

5. dazco

dazco Member

I don't buy the thin finish thing because 1-i've played plenty of those that weren't like this, and owned plently of nitro and thin and even NO finish strats, none of which had a tendency to sound better than poly strats i've owned. I don't want to start a debate, but just saying thats not it. And AM strats...if you mean the ones with 2 post bridges, thats your reaon right there. Those never sound the same, and i've tried them on strats several times that also had vintage trems one them before and I always heard a serious loss of tone/resonance. What is the difference in the bridge? never knew that part of the equasion

Has to be something else. And the QS neck seems the likely reason and the only uncommon factor among strats i've owned and played and the ones i played that day. I would be seriously looking at getting one but i just cannot play huge necks anymore due to hand problems.

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

I think it's a lot of things, as jazzrat said. The QS neck is nice, but they have a REALLY light body, no cavity cover, vintage trem/tuners, no string trees, etc. They're just very, very unique in the Strat world and that all adds up to a great instrument.

7. dazco

dazco Member

How light ARE the bodies, anyone know?

8. David Garner

David Garner Member

My whole guitar is under 7 pounds. I'd have to weigh it to get you the exact number. It's ridiculously light, especially compared to my boat anchor PRS and Tele.

9. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I love my EJ Strat, but I had to swap the neck out. I prefer necks a bit thicker and tonally I found the quartersawn neck a little 'plinky' sounding. I swapped it out for a Warmouth boatneck and now it's the best Strat I've ever played.

10. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

That sounds like a really good one.

IMO if they are loud and full bandwidth unplugged( and general tone character you like ) and have good intonation, and good electronics/pickups- guitars almost always sound excellent plugged in...........

I wonder why the Rosewood hasn't been as popular as the Maple- maybe the binding which prevents it from looking like a "classic " Strat ?

11. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Still loving my EJ after about 8 or 9 years.

Modded the tone control to include the middle pup.

Great ratty distorted tone out of the bridge/middle pickup combo and the neck pup is just magic.

I have soem finish issues related to the poly (some alligatoring on the back) which Fender said wasn't there fault but I really don't care.

12. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i had one for a few years and regret selling it.
    my only complaint was that the neck was "sticky". i prefer a matte finish on my necks. other than that, it was the best sounding strat i've ever owned.

13. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

the best upgrade you could do to your EJ strat is the Raw vintage springs. its improved the resonance even more. i used to have 2 of this, the maple and the rosewood, only have the rosewood now, both are excellent instrument. the neck on the maple surprisingly bigger and more soft V. the rosewood has a more 60's oval or big C thing going on with it. my rosewood weight at 7.8 lbs. the maple i used to own was 7.6 lbs.

the signature stock pickups are amazing pickups, no reason of replacing it.

14. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

I've owned two. One was 7.0 lbs and the other 7.5. I've also owned a half dozen Amer Std Strats and they were all within 8.0 to 8.2 lbs

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

QS is what I don't like in a guitar. It does contribute to a snappy immediate note though. I've never played the rosewood models but many, many maple EJ's and they all had that, tight hi-fi tone and feel. Also very resonant which makes it nice acoustically but too much seems to take away energy for sustain.

They definitely have their own thing going on for a strat.