EJ Strat's a keeper

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brownface, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Brownface

Brownface Member

I've been through several strats like everyone else here, and just recently bought an EJ strat. I got the chance to let it loose on Friday night and I was super pleased. The pickups were all very even. I know a lot of you have changed the pickups out on this one, but I'm leaving it as is. It's just an all around great playing guitar. I don't see this one getting traded of sold very soon.

2. donostia13

donostia13 Member

How do you cope with the "gym floor" finish on the neck? That's the one thing that turns me off.

3. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

If your not planning to sell sand it.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Sand paper.

5. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Naptha worked perfectly for me. Doesn't hurt the finish but takes off the gunk.

6. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

I have one, and agree EJ Strat is awesome. I, especially, love the neck shape.

7. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Micromesh will also give you a satin finish without actually removing much lacquer, and totally reversible.

I ended up stripping it entirely, though...

8. donostia13

donostia13 Member

Sanding is a tough gig when you bring home a new guitar in the neighborhood of $1400-$1700!

The one bright light on the subject is that some owners report that the neck breaks in after a while, though when is anyone's guess.

9. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. Picked one up in a trade a couple of weeks ago and it's a killer. I also like it stock and don't plan to change a thing. I don't have a problem with the neck finish either.

10. mike@switchback

Like I said, micromesh. Takes the neck from gloss to satin in a few minutes and completely reversible. The bigger problem, to me, than the gym floor finish on the back of the neck, is the way the lacquer was pooled up next to the frets. They need to ease up on the spray trigger a bit...

11. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

I agree with Ratter. Taking the overspray down at the fret edge helped mine play a lot better.

12. Redfish

Redfish Member

I micro-meshed, used Naptha, sanded, waxed , polished. Nothing cured my EJ neck. It would feel better after each treatment and then as soon as I took it to a gig and my hands got a little sweaty, gym floor again. After all that I buffed it with a wheel and it looked brand new. Sold it on Ebay for $550 and bought a Warmoth neck. It's my perfect Strat now and I came out $300 to the good.

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

How did the Warmoth fit? I haven't found much of an issue with my EJ neck, although I just received a Warmoth neck that I'm planning on putting with a parts-o-caster and the neck fit and finish are remarkable!! Just nervous on how it's going to fit and balance with a Warmoth body.

14. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I owned several pre CBS vintage strats and currently still own an outstanding sounding early 65 strat, which was my main guitar for years. This guitar however didn't get played much since I got my EJ strat a little over two years ago.
    I like the pickups, the neck shape and the flatter radius. The guitar sounds and plays great and it is the ultimate strat for my tastes.
    Rene

15. mike@switchback

There's some decent fretwork under all that goop. Who knew?!

[​IMG]

16. Redfish

Redfish Member

It fit great. Plus I got the specs I really wanted. 10" radius,taller 6105's, fat C neck, aged SATIN FINISH and I was able to stay with a quartersawn neck. The workmanship of the Warmoth neck is every bit as good as Fender (the finish work is better) plus I can adjust the trussrod at the nut. I couldn't be happier.

17. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Nice, thanks for that. I am chomping at the bit to get my body painted to put this neck on, it is truly one of the better necks I have come across. Plus it is tailor made to the dimensions I like and a sweet maple flame w/ rosewood to look good!! Very happy.

18. Bluestar

Bluestar Gold Supporting Member

Original owner of an '05 stock EJ, no plans to mod and intend to keep forever. I'm sorry for the guys who've had problems with theirs, but mine has been perfect - soundwise and everything else - since it came out of the case.

19. JZG

JZG Member

I've had mine for over three years now, and it's still one of my faves. I've played some higher dollar Relics that I felt didn't beat the EJ. I did some wet-sanding to the neck and that helped a bit, but over time it's just gotten easier and easier to play. It's not really an issue for me anymore. I haven't found many guitars that didn't get the sticky feeling with sweaty hands and high humidity. The pickups rock too.

20. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I think the EJ's are mostly great.
    If you get one that has a little too much finish, it can be wet-sanded down a bit and re-buffed to get a thinner finish.
    The thinner finish will dry out quicker and begin to feel less sticky after awhile.
    That and some virtuoso polish will get it feeling dry and slick.

I know wetsanding and buffing is not something everyone can do, but it isn't too hard with a little reading and a few items. Or a good luthier could do it quickly for not much money. I would do that before getting a new neck.