EJ vs SRV Strat - Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auburn-grad, Sep 8, 2008.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I think I have narrowed my search for a new strat down to the EJ or the SRV....

I realize that ultimately its up to me, but I would like to hear why YOU prefer one or the other and why. There may be some things to consider that I am overlooking.

Thank you for your responses.

2. HHB

HHB Member

I've tried both and own neither, to me the EJ is much nicer, the SRV seems like a normal reissue w/ a lefty bridge, hell it almost seems like a MIM. The EJ is much closer to a vintage feel w/ upgrades, to me it's EJ no contest

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I never was able to bond with the EJ neck and I tried for a couple of months. The SRV neck felt just perfect right away. I thought that it played faster and the strings felt less stiff on it. I love the EJ and if they'd do some sort of bare wood neck, I think it would be it for me.

4. HHB

HHB Member

better add thatthe neck finish could be an issue, I'd play an EJ first , I love that nitro feel but guys who are used to poly might dig the SRV more, but I still feel the EJ is the better strat overall

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The SRV feels better in MY hands. Tone of either is neither better or worse to MY ears. This is almost like having someone go to a shoe store and try on a pair of shoes for you...when only YOU know if they fit right ;).

6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Of the two just from trying them in stores, I liked the SRV better-just felt better. The EJ neck felt gunky-glossy and not exactly sticky, but felt dirty like it needed to be polished. I didn't bond with it-my main strat's a Suhr with that satin finish that feels like bare wood, so I'm spoiled I guess.

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Exact opposite here. I just don't like the SRV neck shape that much. Loved the EJ strat neck I used to own. I did hit it with sand paper though. I think everything about the EJ is better. It is the best production guitar fender is doing in my opinion. The Hot Rod series is also very good. If I was looking at the SRV, I would also be looking hard at the 62 hot rod.

8. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I would love to try out the 62 Hot Rod, but there arent any locally....I played a friend's (who no longer has it) for a few minutes, but I cannot remember too much about it.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Neither... Jeff Beck model!

But, if forced, EJ. The SRV is made too much for one style of playing, Stevies... The lefty trem is just plain wacky to me. I couldn't get used to it if I tried.

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have owned 2 EJs. I've never owned a SRV because they never sounded right. The EJs sound right for me. My 2nd EJ I experimented and put some CS Fat 50s and different saddles (Raw Vintage) and it was even better.

Have you considered the John Mayer as well?

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Best two production Strats that Fender makes. I married the two - neck from a 1st year SRV on an EJ body. That combo's magic - phat and nasty tone with a sweet top end.

(that probably didn't help, did it?)

Peace,

jb