1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

EJ's Dumble Dirty Rhythm Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcshirke, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I really like the dirty rhythm tone EJ had when he used his Dumble in the late 80s. Someone told me that that Dumble he used then was not an Overdrive Special, but instead was a Steel String Singer, which is a very different amp/circuit than the ODS. Does anyone have a pedal/amp combo they can recommend that can nail *that* Dumble's dirty rhythm tone? EJ may have had a fuzz face in front of his Dumble, but I can research that on my own to make sure.

I'm curious what people have come up with, if they've tried to nail that tone. And if you're looking for some good examples of the tone I'm talking about, check out his first instructional video. When he talks about Keith Richard's influence on his rhythm playing, I'm pretty sure he's playing through the Dumble. But there are plenty of other examples, too.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

He used a fuzz face with it, I think that it was red. As far as I remember he didn't run the amp dirty, he got that from the pedal. The SSS was the amp that he also used with his MXR delay to "loop" a chord to play over when he was playing the lengthy intro to Cliffs of Dover live.

3. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

If you do find a pedal that can get that sound, by all means tell me what it is!!! I know the tone you're talking about on that video, and it is without a doubt one of the best dirty tones I've ever heard. I've read a lot about EJ's setups over the years and have spent a lot of time trying to emulate some of his tones. I remember reading that he set the Dumble SSS with the pre cranked and the master about half. Why he ditched that amp, I'll never know. I have lots of live bootlegs from Tones through Musicom and think his dirty rhythm tone was so much better back then. I actually think all his tones were better then, but the dirty rhythm especially.

4. jcshirke

Does anyone make a SSS clone? I'm guessing, no.

If not, then what type of amp is the SSS most similar to in terms of tone/circuit? Is it Fender-ish? If so, then I could experiment with my Tone King + any number of fuzzes. But if the SSS has a unique tone or circuit that is all its own, then maybe that particular rhythm tone will be very hard to nail.

The only thing I know about the SSS is that it's a pretty clean sounding amp.

Oh...EJ apparently stopped using the SSS because it broke down. He didn't just discard it for no reason. If I can find the details, I'll let you know.

Jeff

5. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I may be talking out of my ass here since I haven't watched it in a long while but I recall watching the Total Electric Guitar EJ instructional video and seeing a Dumble ODS, not an SSS ... I always associated SRV with the SSS.

In that video EJ says that he uses the Dumble (no mention of pedals) to get the dirty rhythm tone, and then kicks in the Fuzz "on top of that" (sic) to get an alternative lead tone to his main one (Tube Driver into Marshall) ... he does demonstrate it too. When you hear the Fuzz tone on his records (really noticeable in Tones, less so in Ah Via) it's definitely not rhythm oriented.

6. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

It's definitely on the fenderish side in terms of tone, but has it's own character. I think EJ himself refers to it as "like a Twin, but with LOTS of voltage running through it." Some friends and I used to try and cop some of his tones, and the closest we came was using a Showman Head through a late 60's Marshall cab and, don't laugh, a script logo MXR dist + with level at 3:00 and drive at 9:30. I know the MXR dist + might raise a few eyebrows, but it worked suprisingly well for this.

I actually got a chance to see EJ in a very small club right after Musicom came out. I remember watching them set up everything and seeing that Dumble amp for the first time and wondering what the hell it was. The soundcheck was really something to see as he would not stop messing with everything until it was just so.

Your right that it is a clean amp, but he used to turn the pre gain all the way up to get the dirt and had the master at about half. Whereas SRV would keep the pre down and the master up. I did read about EJ's SSS having the power supply die, but geez, just get it fixed. Who knows, maybe he needed the money and sold it. God only knows what that amp would have went for.

7. glynn

glynn Member

As I recall, he did get it fixed but it wasnt the same. I think the OT blew, and there was no way to fix it. It was replaced, and it didnt pass the EJ tone test after that.

It was a damn cool tone tho.

8. madsr

madsr Member

saw EJ in the beginning of july this year... he was still getting some great tones IMO...cliffs of dover sounded great..he was playing through 2 50watt plexis and 2 twins side by side...wow his tone was awesome...after the show he happened to walk into the blues bar I was in and plugged straight into a super reverb...sounded fantastic that way too!...I think alot of it's in the fingers...

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Two Rock is making a SSS amp. Not sure if it's an exact clone. Pretty pricey ....

10. lousyatit

I've had a couple of days to think about it and I seem to remember seeing a blue and a grey Fuzz Face over the years in Eric's rig. He used to play here in a bar(this was before he was well known) and I remember asking him about the SSS, he told me that "...it was like a big overbuilt twin." Which makes sense, because way back when I first saw him in '80 or '81 he used one BF Twin for clean and dirty rythym. He used the non-trem channel for dirty rythym and was using a Fresh Fuzz to dirty it up. He was using a Boogie Mk I head for his lead amp. That Dumble was LOUD, Eric told me that it had metered out at 160 watts on the bench!
    I went to see him in July at the HOB in Myrtle Beach and I'm pretty sure that his lead amp was a 100 watt, it sounded too full to be a 50.

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

that dirty tone is all over his latest "bloom" cd, I just got it today listened to half of it and loved it. It's a must buy.

my .02 off hand my cornish G2 fuzz , skreddy mayo
    and zero come to mind too .

12. jcshirke

I'm not too enthralled with "Bloom" yet. It may continue to grow on me, I guess.

No doubt EJ always has some great tones happening in anything he does, but he's not using the old Dumble on the new cd. And I still prefer his Tones/Ah Via Musicom tones to anything he's done since.

That said, I'm still seeing him live Fri. night. :) So, life is pretty good.

13. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

I ran into EJ at Austin Vintage guitar yesterday. He seems to be a very nice genuine person.

14. lousyatit

He is a really nice guy, very humble. Has a great memory!

15. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Scary Face (best FF clone I have ever heard) in front of a LOUD Fender Twin-type amp?

16. jcshirke

Who makes the Scary Face? I'll try googling it, but I'm afraid I'll get a thousand non-relevant hits before I get to the actual pedal!

Thanks for the input.

17. jcshirke

Never mind. I see it's made by Scotty at Pro Analog. It's also been discontinued.

18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

So how is the one you bought on the Emporium working for the EJ dirty rhythm tone?

19. GM1

GM1 Member

Two Rock builds a SSS clone cost 10K

20. jcshirke

>So how is the one you bought on the Emporium working for the EJ dirty rhythm >tone?

It should be here soon. I'll let you know. :)

>Two Rock builds a SSS clone cost 10K

10K, huh? Thanks for reminding me why I think my next amp will be a Dr. Z Route 66. ;)

I got to spend some time with EJ after his show the other night. I was going to ask him about his old Dumble, but I didn't really have the opportunity. There was no easy way to just slip that particular question in. Maybe next time, though.

Jeff