• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

El Capistan and DIG vs Timeline

peasencarrots

hey gearheads, so I currently have an el Capistan and the new DIG from Strymon.
Thats $600 basically and I've been wondering if i should just sell them and buy the Timeline.

Ive read a lot about the differences between the 2 vs the Timeline via Strymon's website and here for example like:

1. the El cap has the spring reverb machine and has 3 modes of tape.
2. the DIG has golden ratios

I'd love to hear some opinions of actual owners.

thanks

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
If you are looking for like 20 million more types of delay sounds then what you have then go for the Timeline. If you really need spring reverb, golden ratio and multi tape heads(even though you can do some faux multi tape sounds via the "dual" setting on the TL) then stay with what you have.

porticoguitar1

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW, despite the differences in tones amongst the DIG, ElCap and TL, at $600, you could have a TL+Disaster Area DMC midi controller for the TL+BS. I love my El Cap and do think it does more for the tape style than the TL, but the vast array of noises available in the TL make it worth the trade off. Plus, live - it's tough to distinguish those nuisances. At the end of the day, what you've got is awesome as it is.

Delayed Delay

One thing that never gets mentioned in these threads (and probably because not many people need or care about this feature)...

...is the BPM readout. I can't live without it. We play to a click and backing tracks regularly, so having the BPM readout and being able to save my presets in accordance with the setlist BPM's makes it incredibly efficient to use live. I hardly EVER have to actually tap in the tempo on the thing - just turn the knob and save.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
One thing that never gets mentioned in these threads (and probably because not many people need or care about this feature)...

...is the BPM readout. I can't live without it. We play to a click and backing tracks regularly, so having the BPM readout and being able to save my presets in accordance with the setlist BPM's makes it incredibly efficient to use live. I hardly EVER have to actually tap in the tempo on the thing - just turn the knob and save.
Good call!! I absolutely need the BPM readout on my timeline. We always play with a click and it makes dialing it in effortless.

Ugly Bunny

+1 for the BPM readout. I have several songs in the set that I have to start. All I have to do is switch to the patch (on or off) and play in time with the blinking light.

That said, I had originally planned on getting the El Cap - but once I was in the store I decided I wanted it all so I went with the Timeline. I did more research and Stymon's website even says explicitly that the Timeline CANNOT do everything El Cap can do. In other words, the El Cap is not just a piece of the Timeline. It is its own person. So now, I'm still GASsing for the El Cap.

No experience or GAS for the Dig, so I won't speak to that.

Ev O)))

if you DONT need bpm readout, I say keep the two. So much more fun, and you can have like mutitap giong into Golden ratio dual delay. Wash for days.

Also, the first thing I think of when slapping my pedals on a board is "what delay do I put before my dirt and what do I put after it, if any". I know it's not as popular round here but delay or verb before dirt is essential for me and is lots of fun man.

This way, you can have both. I used to have an el cap and ran it before a superfuzz and a muff and it was glorious. I also love really short delays with moderate feedback before a squishy compressor. Spread them out in your chain and enjoy the fact you have so many textures available as a result.
Can't do that with a single pedal really.

If the Timeline had the Pre/Post capabilities of the Mobius it might get me though haha

jsytsma

I've owned all 3, currently own the DIG and the Timeline. I THOUGHT I wanted the simplicity (relatively!) of the El Capistan, but really missed presets and I could get pretty much the exact sound I wanted from the El Cap on my Timeline

I messed around with the DIG for about an hour yesterday. I don't think the Timeline can produce those sounds!

Here's where I've arrived: I have my Timeline on my "programmable" board, where I can program a setlist and use presets etc.
I have the DIG on my "grab and go"

I haven't given a more formal review of the DIG, but it is actually sounding BETTER in my rig than in the videos. You really hear the nuances...and the percussiveness of the dual delays really works nicely.

peasencarrots

man i think i need to compare them all. I really like the ICE setting on the Timeline(not to use all the time), but I could probably achieve that mixing one or both of the el cap & DIG with my bigsky

great feedback everyone - Keep it coming!

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Sold my Timeline and El Cap.. The DIG is my go to Digital Delay I have a Analog delay for the Analog vibe.. I'm very happy with the DIG !! :beer

peasencarrots

yeah I'm def digging (pun intended) the DIG's dotted 8s. its extremely profound and stands out in the mix. Using my el cap for some slower washy quarter notes and the 2 stacked together sound pretty awesome.

prob going to hold on to what i have until I can do a side by side by side comparison between the 3.

great feedback everyone! thanks!

Seems like you made your decision but here's what I'll say:

I started out with the El Cap first and loved it, then traded for a Timeline because I wanted more options. Still have the Timeline and now own a DIG, but I would recommend keeping the Dig and El cap combo ONLY if you like having cool in series delay options. One reason I was bummed about the Timeline was that the dual delay function left me desiring more control, (like .8th INTO Quarter) and I found that I could get more of the sound I was after by having 2 actual delays.

So yes, the timeline is great with some really interesting features (like Ice and Pattern etc) but if you're generally using digital and analog sounds then keep your combo. Im sure the Dig and El Cap are killer!

bass_econo

the Dig is pretty amazing. I sold mine thinking I could just get the same stuff from another dual delay but I gave up and just got another one.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Really just depends on your need... I need the programmability of the timeline for my sets. However, I greatly enjoy the dig and the el cap... The multi head with verb is awesome and I wish it was on the tl. Golden ratio and dry digital delays where the tl really doesn't excel.

Up to you!

rschultz13

Silver Supporting Member
I pulled the trigger on a DIG. Timeline ain't going anywhere; the dBucket, Trem, Swell and Pattern are awesome, and I think the dTape and Filter are pretty good too. The DIG should cover what I find lacking in the Timeline... mainly the Digital and Dual. Killer combo.

rschultz13

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW... the Timeline is really the best value for $400 used. It does way more than the Brigader+El Cap+DIG with the presets, looper and other algorithms (swell, trem, pattern, reverse, ice, duck, filter, lo-fi, etc). I just felt uninspired by the Dual and Digital settings on it and thought the DIG demo's were amazing.

The dBucket is great and can't imagine the Brigader does much that the Timeline can't. Not sure about the dTape, haven't really dug into that one yet although the demo's between the two sound similar. I did have an El Cap a while back but don't remember enough for a comparison.

lespaulraider

Trying a DiG and a Brigadier together. Need to spend more time to draw any conclusions, but the DiG sounds awesome. Recently returned a Boss DD-500. Very powerful and easy to edit, but after hearing the DiG, I just couldn't settle for the Boss's inherent tone.

Trending Topics