El Capistan v TC nova system , delays.

lenster

As far as FX go , delay is my most used. Occasionally phase and chorus. After going from a GSP1101 which I used favourably for 6 years i have gone back to pedals and am missing the convenience of single stomp patch changes. I'm really happy with my Bogner blue and will be adding a Red soon. Do the Nova delays stack up well against the el cap? I'm thinking if functionality, as I sing and play and want to avoid tap dancing so I'm considering either the Nova or a GEC9 to set up patches. I'm leaning towards the Nova, but would like done feedback about the unit. I have done a search and it seems favourable but would like current users and past user input for my scenario.

TheGuildedAge

I think they are very different.

Nova is very clear and pristine with lots of tonal options. Capistan is more ambient. Very clear, but I think it will sit in a mix better than the nova. Nova sounds very digital, in a good way, very crisp, bright, and clear. El Cap sounds bright and clear, but can do washy stuff better.

soundbee

Double Platinum Member
Depends on the application as well. The Nova has 9 presets you can cycle through. El Cap has 2 = one current settings and another with the optional switch.

Ricardo Boia

They are in two different ballparks... The El Capistan is favoured for that great old tape delay sound it so nicely emulates - it's my favourite delay out there.
I've tried both TC Nova Repeater and the TC Nova Delay Ib Modified and they are more on the 2290 territory, though you can set them to emulate tape and analog delays. They stack pretty well imo, the Nova providing a shorter clearer rhythmic repeat and the El Capistan creating a very pleasing background pad (especially with that tape bias knob cranked).

TheClev

As seen on TV
I've probably sold more Nova Delays at gigs than Guitar Center employees because people always want to know what delay I'm using. I've never used El Cap, but I have used a few other delays and the Nova is by far my favorite. It's a pretty rich, deep pedal that sounds way more complex than using it is.

jota

I think OP's talking about the Nova System, not the Nova Delay!
They're probably the same in sound but not on the way they work.

I have a Nova System but never played with a Capistan.

Three things I don't like about the Nova:
- All the delay types sound about the same to me, unless you crank the mix and the repeats
- I can't bound with Nova's tap tempo
- You need to have two different presets to use two different delays unless... (see below)

One thing I like a lot:
- You can use the Pitch section as a delay. When I have a preset where I don't need the Pitch section I set it as a slap back echo and it sounds pretty good. It think it goes up to 350m/s. That way I can have two different delays in the same preset.

TheClev

As seen on TV
It just so happens that I have the Nova System too. Its delay is very basic and kinda dull. I wouldn't recommend getting a Nova System for delay effects. Compared to the Nova Delay pedal, the Nova System just doesn't produce the same tones.

mbstrums

I second jota's reply about the tap tempo of the Nova System. It's not extremely accurate and requires (in my experience) 6 taps to get it about right.