El Capistan vs. Deluxe Memory Boy TT

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by a.hartmann, Jan 23, 2012.

1. a.hartmann

a.hartmann Member

Here's my thoughts:

I have a Nova Delay I use for my main delay, but I want another delay for more ambient/background textural sounds.

Here's where these two guys come into play- the reason I've narrowed it down is that they both have an assignable external expression control. My plan is to have an expression knob big enough to control with my foot at the front of my board to control the feedback of the delay to have control over the texture of the delay and how present it is.

So my question is... which of these bad boys would fit better?

Both should accomplish this, but is the El Cap worth the extra $$$?

Anyone used one (or both) of these have any input about what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks friends
    Alex

2. wyattt

wyattt Member

There are some quite lengthy videos (Strymon's site) and Youtube reviews for the DMBTT. They are worlds apart though. DMBTT has a niche audience of people who like the darker delay tone.

3. skylab001

skylab001 Member

They are quite different in sound. Have used both, still own the DMB and have a Timeline instead of El Cap. DMB is analog 100% voiced on the darker side. The El Cap models tape delay which in my view has a much brighter and cleaner texture. You can add the expression knob like you want but you need to decide the sound you are going for. The el cap can be voiced dark too but they still sound different. IMHO the DMB is great for texture/washes.

4. Grizz_Lee

Grizz_Lee Member

El cap is the king of ambience. You'd be silly not to pick it.

5. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

+100

6. brandnewzo

brandnewzo Member

Of the two, yeah, go with the El Cap.

7. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Definitely go with the El Cap. If its ambiance you're after, the El Cap has some great sounds - the spring verb is a nice plus as well.

8. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I am probably honna get some heat for this - but IMO the Strymon El Capistan is the best delay on the market. You really owe it to yourself to at least try one.

9. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

I'd go with the El Capistan. The DMBTT sounds like ass to me. I don't like overly dark and noisy delay.

10. Spirithunter

Spirithunter Supporting Member

El Capistan all the way. Great pedal!