El Capistan.....Who still loves it?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr.Woody, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Tung-Sol Tube

Tung-Sol Tube Member

I'm pretty certain EC is referring to the El Cap.

2. ranchofm

ranchofm Member

Similar to my situation. Got the El Cap when it first came out and had it on my gig board for a few years. I replaced it with a Brigadier because it suited my band better than El Cap. El Cap is on my home board now, where it's subtleties are more useful. FINALLY got a Deco, and I'm looking to get something to replace the Flint on my gig board, so I can bring the Stryfecta® home.

However, if I was wandering around town and found $400 on the ground, the Volante might throw a wrench in the works.

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i'm a minimalist and it took me a long time to comprehend the el caps features & its multitudes of sounds, but once enlightened, agree with the masses that it's an amazeballs tape simulation pedal. arguably, by far, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, the most accurate digital tape pedal. if you need a preamp grab a chase tone or a clinch or a dyno brain {my fave, but all those are great, is the chase tone}. i've owned the real deal and they still can't be beat but the idea of a board size pedal like the el cap that can hang alongside them and be way, way, way less likely to act a b#tch and not turn to soup unexpectedly makes the iron reliability of the strymon and the ability to capture the characteristics of tape under $300 mind-blowing.

Deadpool_25 and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  4. Pedalboardoftheday

Pedalboardoftheday Member

It's not a staple on my board, but everytime I do plug the El Cap in, I'm completely blown away.

It's just one of those pedals that makes you feel like you're in a different space physically.

5. saltbird

saltbird Member

I got a used El Capistan for $200 via craigslist. I had never even tried one but I figured worst case scenario I could at least sell it for $250 cause of how insanely well Strymons seem to hold their value. I never really bonded with it per se, but I still liked it enough to not want to get rid of it. I think the big reason was I just wasn't into delay in general at that point in time.

A couple years later I bought a Volante and I love the thing. Once I really got the interface down, I can always find the exact delay sound I'm looking for, and then some.

Messed with the El Capistan again, while actually delving into the secondary settings, and I appreciate it much more than I initially did. I still prefer the Volante on my board, but for a compact grab-n-go setup, the El Cap does the trick.

6. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

The infinite feedback feature has become essential to my live shows. Killer way to end a song, add atmospherics or build up tension. Most pedals with this fail to compress the repeats. The El Cap is the only one I found that does this without murdering the audience's ears. It feeds back and melts into a beautiful pad-like sustain.

7. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

D'oh!

8. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I’ve got to look into this. As you said, seems like a cool way to end a song without getting out of control

9. Tung-Sol Tube

Tung-Sol Tube Member

You also can tailor the saturation and volume of the oscillation with the secondary tape bias control!

10. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Looks like I need to have a little one on one time with the manual this weekend :beer

jimijimmyjeffy and Tung-Sol Tube like this.
  11. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I thought it was a good pedal that was overrated I moved on from it

12. Mr.Woody

Mr.Woody Supporting Member

OP here. Wow, i honestly forgot that i started this thread and am happy to see that it gained some traction. Thanks for all the replies no matter what your views are on the El Cap :)

You know, i looked at the Deco a while back and couldn't wrap my mind around what all it was doing or how i would use it. i may have to look into them again.
    I picked up a Flint early this year and have found that i now use the El Cap, the Flint, and the Rockett .45 Cal pretty exclusively through an entire set.......
    I was having a hard time not getting lost in the mix with the B3 last time, so i finally kicked ont he harmonic tremolo....BAM, there I was!
    I honestly could get rid of the other pedals and be pretty happy with just those. It helps that i'm also learning to use my volume/tone knobs now that i have a Les Paul.

I see what you did there ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    tobereleased likes this.
  13. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

The El Capistan is something special.

hippieboy likes this.
  14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Recced as I actually first came to the El Cap from a minimalism point of view. But a part of me liked control within that, and there it was. I like digital delay, and I like tape. So was pretty much destined for an El Cap.

sanhozay likes this.
  15. hangten

hangten Silver Supporting Member

Love my V1, right now playing through it into a vibrolux and swart sst-30 in stereo, sounds glorious

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. Mr.Woody

I didn't know there was more than 1 version. How many versions are there, what's the difference in them, and what's the time frame for each version?

17. hangten

hangten Silver Supporting Member

Don’t know - at least 2 versions but that’s all I got...

18. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

They just switched the footswitches . V1 were hard click switches even for the tap. V2 are the soft click ones.

19. Mr.Woody

Ahh, that makes sense. I def have a v2 then. I've had quite some time now (2013, i think).

Has anyone ever had one die?

20. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

They also made it accept stereo input by switching a jumper inside. But they didn't change it to process a stereo input - if you give it a stereo input the stereo dry will go through, but all the processing is done on a mono sum of the two inputs.

Basically, V2 was bringing it in line with some of the features of the more recent releases. I do wonder whether a V3 will come out allowing firmware updates via midi, seen as that's been incorporated into the sunset and riverside - but this will require a bit more hardware development that they might not want to do for a product that's about a decade old.

As to the overall thread: I love my el cap. I won it in a competition from bestguitareffects, so I didn't have to pay for it, which makes it even better. The El Cap, Flint, and Deco are really the core of my pedalboard.

losrogers and abby_normal like this.