El cheapo delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluegrif, Jul 7, 2019.

1. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

Zoom Multistomp.

You can do multiple cascaded delays in one pedal. sound quality is great on delays and reverbs and some modulations. Under $100.

2. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

El Chapo delay - It's digital, and the firmware can be jailbroken to make it sound like you're in an underground tunnel.

3. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

I want a delay that's actually called "El Cheapo Delay"

Matt Dillon, bluegrif and monty like this.
  4. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

The Lovepedal looks great, but where are you seeing it for $50?! The cheapest one I found was about $70 used. Since it simulates tape delay I'm guessing it'd give me that warm slap I'm looking for.

ChicagoJoe likes this.
  5. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Lovepedal EPH-3 used, Mooer Ana Echo, and Flashback Mini are all great buys. Especially the EPH-3, love that thing!

6. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Okay, just
    No I get it. Let me just say a word about the whole "el cheapo" thing. First, I'm a very experienced player. I've had a few really good delay pedals in the past. I used to tour by air a lot so I got used to carrying the smallest of pedalboards (or none at all) and found I just didn't use the delay enough to justify expanding my little board. I quit touring a few years ago and, as a traditional blues player mostly playing locally now, I've decided to add a little slapback for maybe 3 songs in a 3 set night. So I just can't see spending 2 or 3 hundred dollars on a great, versatile delay pedal when all I need is a little slapback. Of course I don't want it to adversely affect my rig. I didn't mention a specific price, so not sure where the $25-$50 came from (though on the used market, that certainly seems possible). I'm thinking keep it under a hundred bucks. Sure, if those little Joyo or Donner or whatever are good enough then why not. This is for live work, not sitting in my studio listening to how awesome my delay sounds. But yeah, I've owned the Carbon Copy and the like and those are suitable. That was probably 15 years ago and these days there's a dizzying array of choices, including the Chinese clones that didn't exist not long ago. Probably the majority on this board are way more into pedals than I am, which is why I've reached out.

Whiskey N Beans likes this.
  7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

After reading up on it, I'm kinda leaning toward the EPH-3 as well. Plenty of used ones out there. Because my board is tiny, a mini pedal would be ideal. But so long as it's not one of those bigger boxes I'll go with what seems best.

slicepaperdavid likes this.
  8. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

9. Truckdub

Truckdub Member

A used EHX Memory Toy should click all of the boxes. Inexpensive but not cheap. It’s quite a rugged pedal.

hydroquebec likes this.
  10. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe Member

It shows up during the Lovepedal flash sales for $50. They do a flash sale over a weekend every month or two, you've gotta be on your toes when the sale hits but the EPH-3 usually shows up at some point during those sales. It's been $50 for about a year now. I just use delay as a subtle echo, and I prefer it to be on the warmer side tonally. For those purposes, I'll always pick the EPH-3 regardless of price.

11. neko

neko Member

Modded Danelectro Fab Echo or a Fab Delay... those things sound amazing for the price

bluegrif likes this.
  12. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

TC Electronics Echo Brain or used MXR Carbon Copy get my vote.

bluegrif likes this.
  13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Thanks. Good info, I'll check.

And yeah, that's exactly how I use delay as well. And even that, not often. Much like my Leslie sim, just something to add a little variety since I play trio a lot. For the vast majority of the shows it's just a little reverb, which makes it all the more effective when I do add a little something for a song or two.

14. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

@bluegrif I guess we (me) assumed cheap-o meant lowest price. Sorry for jumping to the $25-50 conclusion your post above is well taken. I still say wait and pay $50-100 for one mentioned above, no boutique necessary here. Boss had it right in 1979-ish.

BUT - I am not sure, even though I recommended one, you need a mini like the Ibanez. They are great for space saving but for gigging with limited effects they don’t make sense. Get an MXR or Boss sized box whatever you decide.

bluegrif likes this.
  15. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

Caline CP19, it's a clone of the mad professor deep blue. about 40 bucks new, no frills, solid construction, decent sound quality, not really dark or bright, just a simple, cheap, 3 dial, tone neutral delay pedal. Speaking as an owner of one for a few years now it's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. And it's a rather nice deep blue colour for what it's worth

16. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Reading my somewhat tongue-in-cheek OP, not an unreasonable assumption. A more specific description would be: The cheapest one that will do a nice job and be reliable.

Obviously I don't want something that's going to fail, or cause issues with my signal. It's funny but even pedals not associated with super cheap can have problems. I was looking at an inexpensive TC pedal, the TC Gauss, which sounded ideal on paper. TC is normally a great brand, and a tape echo sim is perfect for what I want. But reading several reviews, it appears there's an unmanageable volume drop when the pedal is engaged, making it annoying to use at best. Now here's a pedal that meets every criteria otherwise, and is only $60 new. OTOH, I have heard from a lot of people who are very happy with their Joyo, Caline, Donner, etc. In fact, these brands show up on a number of "10 best" lists right along side all the usual suspects. But at their very low cost, one can't help being suspicious about reliability. More so than sound quality because according to many reviews they compare favorably with the name brands (I discovered, for instance, Joyo makes a virtual clone of the Carbon Copy). Even the responses to this thread would indicate many find them more than decent. So yeah, curious whether any bias against them is just a matter of those who would never even try them because, after all, Pop always said "you get what you pay for".

As I've mentioned, I am leaning toward the Lovepedal EPH-3, which can be had for not a lot more money than the lowest cost models. But it is interesting. I've heard from some players who have a whole boardfull of Donner or whatever and love 'em. Does kind of make you wonder if there's actually any "real world" difference, or if they're just mistrusted because they're Chinese brands as opposed to US and European brands which are, very often, also made in China. Of course I have heard the name brands have much better component quality. But then you open that whole can of worms about how much real world difference that makes at the end of the day. I guess what it comes down to for me is, I don't want to be on stage, stomp on a switch, and be suddenly greeted with some godawful noise or no signal at all!

Whiskey N Beans likes this.
  17. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Go Lovepedal. Buy local/USA whenever you can help it. Better for the environment (transport/shipping) better for the tone. My $0.02, YMMV and all that BS jazz.

18. Doctor Who

Doctor Who Member

19. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Nux delay core
    Great cheap delay
    Pretty much a flashback copy

20. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

Digitech Dl8 (or Obscura), quite affordable used and one of the most inspiring delays I have.

Matt Dillon likes this.