EL34 Combos and MV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by douglaswarren, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

As I read the OP this is exactly what I was thinking, and came here to post this.
    +1

douglaswarren likes this.
  2. douglaswarren

douglaswarren Member

Did you have any reliability issues worth noting? I had a pro touring guitar player buddy tell me his amp guy doesn’t recommend Bogners due to some reliability issues he’s experienced. But then again, I’m not planning on touring with it...yet. Maybe playing it out once a week at a solo club gig. And speaking of, did the weight ever become too much of an issue, I’m not a small guy and used to lift, but a 70 pound box can get very awkward in and out of hatches and stages 3 feet in the air. I think these are actually my only concerns with the Bogner, other than that, I think I’m sold on it.

3. bman5150us

bman5150us Member

Between those two amps-Shiva hands down.

douglaswarren and Produktsumme like this.
  4. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

No reliability issues of any kind, ever. I had normal maintenance stuff--replacing power tubes, the occasional preamp tube that went bad--but nothing unusual. I'm a little surprised to hear somebody who's had bad experience with Bogner reliability, actually.

I never found the weight to be too much of an issue. It's a heavy amp, sure, but how often do you need to carry it a hundred yards or lift it up over your head?

My main complaints with it were that I had the old version with the wacky effects loop, and that the boost wasn't variable at that time. Both those issues have long since been fixed. I will also say that, with the stock 1x12 combo, there's something about the way that cab is built that eats your treble. The Shiva was the only amp I've ever played where I cranked the treble all the way and wished it would go just a hair more. On the one hand, this meant it always sounded full and never piercing, and when I got to crank it at loud gigs, it was absolutely amazing. On the other hand, I still wished I could get just a little more out of it. These days, I think they have bright switches on both channels, so maybe that's not an issue anymore either.

douglaswarren and bman5150us like this.
  5. bman5150us

bman5150us Member

I was going to write the same but you beat me to it, lol. It’s a little dark. When I last played one, I thought it sounded awesome and would only be even better with a treble booster out front. The last one I used did not have a bright switch.

theRagman likes this.
  6. douglaswarren

douglaswarren Member

Sounds like the amp for me! I read more into the effects loop issues and how it was just the silverbacks. Weird they had that. I’m usually wanting to manage washy treble and flubby low end with my BF Fender style combos anyway so that shouldn’t be an issue for me either. And I agree about the reliability, he was actually the first guy I’ve ever heard say that about Bogners as well, but it’s Nashville and when it comes to amp experience around here I tend to listen, perhaps too much haha, but like anything, personal experience can cause anyone to have issues with a brand. Thanks for your input!

theRagman likes this.
  7. Dale

Dale Member

Rockerverb 50 Mk III.

8. LR1400

LR1400 Member

My 50w Jub is my favorite amp over my vintage Marshalls.

Whoever I bought it from out a greenback in it and I left it in.

Best amp I’ve ever had.

9. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

Check out Victory amps. They are English, Marshally and lighter to carry around.

10. Les Paul Lover

Les Paul Lover Member

If you ever can get to try an Orange Rocker 30, it's a great simple EL34 beast. A very loud 30 watter. Sounds amazing. Pure dirty rock tones.

11. douglaswarren

douglaswarren Member

Was it the combo? The original 87 25/50 2553 or 2554 would be amazing but I don’t know if the amount of work it would take to make it sound at usable volume would be worth it.

I’ve been looking into them. They do sound great.

I’m back and forth with the Orange thing. I like the Orange sound but I like the 80s Marshall sound/gain better.

Les Paul Lover likes this.
  12. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Being an old fool I run straight in with a TC Flashback. But with an Eventide H9 max in full Gods battling the universe levels of delay and reverb I'm going to try it in the loop. BTW the 2555X is my bedroom amp.

When you play out let me know - I live east aways from Nashville.

Russ

13. Peppy

Peppy Member

Carr Hammerhead

14. LR1400

LR1400 Member

The original ‘87 50 watt combo.

15. woof*

woof* Member

Practice volumes?
    Practice in your bedroom or practice with a band?
    20 watts will not have much headroom in a band.

16. douglaswarren

douglaswarren Member

geez... they have a few on a Reverb... think it would be worth it over a Shiva combo?

At this point it would be more for practicing at home, a vaulted ceiling living room and a studio room, doesn’t have to be apartment bedroom quiet. Only time I’m playing with a band is club gigs which I’m currently using the Kemper for. Got tired of being told to “turn down” and hearing the brittle sound of a Fender BF at 1-2 into a 57 through a wedge. Got a new original band project started and this combo I get would definitely get used for that. But that’s a bit down the road.

17. LR1400

LR1400 Member

At the time i had little concern for money.
    It sounds great!
    Ive never touched a bogner.

18. douglaswarren

douglaswarren Member

Update: so things went full circle. Went to Carter Vintage in Nashville, brought the Tremolux I got there last fall, and a nice little 12 fretter Legend acoustic. Ended up walking out the door with a brand new Friedman Dirty Shirley 40w combo. Sounded so darn good. Wasn’t the EL34s but I didn’t care with the woody mids this amp had. It’s not completely closed back but at this point I’m not complaining with the insane deal Carter hooked me up with. Walked out the door in shock with a new Friedman.

bman5150us likes this.