EL34 recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gkelm, May 19, 2005.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have a 75 Marshall head incoming...yipee! I'll proably get it retubed & biased. Any thoughts on current production EL34s? I've heard good things about Svetlana, good & bad about Ruby...what else? I'd rather not spend huge $$ on NOS...but are there any reasonably priced NOS to consider?

Thanks.
    Greg

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Try the SED 'winged-c' El34s.

3. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I agree with that. I compared the winged C SED tubes and the EH EL-34 (not their new "mullard things") and the SEDs were clear winners, for me personally, in my Germino amp. I have heard great things about some of the JJ varieties in Marshall amps, but have yet to try them myself.

Cheers,

Steve

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I have a '75 JMP, and I've had JJ E34Ls and the SED Winged Cs.
    Both are great- the JJs are perhaps rounder, while the SEDs have a bit more sizzle in the high end(in a very good way). Both clean up well with my volume knob.

Rog

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The JJ E34L is very rugged... sounds great.

6. trucks

trucks Member

+1 for the winged C's

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Has anyone compaired any of these to the Mullards, I have a LoVo 55 on the way and am considering taking the leap on a matched pair of them... it really worth it? And how long do they last?

-TJK

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses, guys...this is helpful. More certainly welcome. :)

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Taron,

You mean old Mullards (I.E. real ones)?

Is it worth it? Awwww it's tough to say, listen to some of the clips I just did with my new Flexi on this page:

http://music.mp3lizard.com/petethorn/

there's one that says "THD Semiens", obviously that's with Semiens 34's, and one that says "THD EL34B-Matsu" that's first Chinese EL34B's and then Matsushita (Japan Mullards basically)... you be the judge. I personally like Semiens and Mullard tubes a whole lot, but changing output tubes doesn't make nearly the difference that say, changing speakers makes.

I say, get one or two pairs of NOS tubes for recording and a rainy day, and be happy with EH's, SED's, etc. for gigging and daily rocking.

Having said this, I still haven't tried real American 6ca7's yet... bet that's a bigger change than going from one 34 to another 34...

10. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Sage advice. I love the Seimens tubes, FWIW, but the plate voltage is a bit high in my Lead55 for them (485 volts). After the recent thread here about using them in a Shiva, I am encouraged to give them a try anyway. I just picked up a pair of the JJ E34LS last night, so I will give them a try and post back with a comparison of the EH, SED, and JJ tubes - pretty much all of the major new production EL34's these days. Don't know about that "new" Mullard stuff...no one seems to be talking much about them.

Cheers,

Steve

11. Igneous

Igneous Member

Ive gone from winged c's to new sensor mullard copies. They sound mint!!!ImHO

cheers-IG

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Yep... I was gonna buy a pair of real ones from KCA... and I really do like the sound of those Siemens in your clips. They are far more affordable but what is the life span on them. People think $325 for a pair of Mullards is too much money, but then when you think a pair of production EL34's only lasts 2 years and costs you $75 to $100 you start wondering if the 20 years you'd get out of those Mullards is really all that bad:dude Great advice though. How has the life been on those Siemens?

-TJK

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey guys...thanks for the input. Just unpacked it today...here's the eye candy (75 JMP at center stage):

[​IMG]

It came without power tubes, so I popped in some chinese I had on hand (could not wait). Sounds great already. :D

Greg