el34s in a Mark IV...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rollyfoster, Sep 20, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Who here has done it? I want a more marshally bite from my amp these days, allegedly this will get me closer.

I just ordered some to try out, EH brand. Do you use the amp in simul or class a? What are some things to look out for as far as tonal differences vs. having 6l6s?

2. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I did that years ago when I had a Mk IV. There is a difference, but it's subtle. Only the two outside tubes can be replaced with EL34's - the inside pair has to stay 6L6 if I remember correctly. If you run it in class A only the 34's will be active. In AB both pairs are active.
    I don't remember ever getting it to sound anything like a Marshall, though.

3. rollyfoster

Yeah. I'm wondering how it will sound with just the 2 el34s or with the 6l6s too. I'm not expecting it to sound like a marshall, per se, but hopefully get some of that british hair at least

4. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

You should get more hair with the 34s. Nothing over the top, but it's there!

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I stuck gtel34's in my outer sockets. I love it. It gave it a little more compression. If you use it in Class A, you will get only the el34's which will get you closer to the Marhsally sound but ultimately it's still a boogie.

:RoCkIn

6. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Been there, done it. You can tell the difference but it isn't going to change the personality of the amp.

It did degrade the cleans a little bit though.

7. rollyfoster

what kind of settings do you use/sound you're going for with it?

8. rollyfoster

i lifted this from a dude in the boogie forum. i really like the R1 and R2 sounds, but the Lead needs some tweaking to please my ears. can't wait to hear it with the el34s in. I also pull the presence on R2 and LD

[​IMG]

9. rollyfoster

tubes got here this morning, but i won't get to check them out until after work. i'll post some feedback this evening

10. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Not Marshall,But you can get some nice sweet tones with the 6V6,s and set it to tweed,and triode very nice tone like that,with the 1st and 2nd channels.
    Also if you try different speakers I love the EV,s with this amp.And used an ext.celestian cab.:)

www.bnoweb.com

11. SFW

SFW Member

12. iainmc

iainmc Member

i had a mark iv 5 or so years ago. I put el-34s in & really preferred the r2 channel with it. in fact i liked the r2 channel people the most - in fact i found it was all i was using & i sold it & got a bogner Shiva (which i sold 10 amps ago...)

/i

13. rollyfoster

it's not that i don't like it- it sounds great with you playing it. i just look for a different lead sound: more mids, a little more "vintage," i suppose, and i like to pull the presence, so there's a bit of adjustment with that.

14. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I play a lot of Metal stuff so that is always on the lead channnel.

I do play in a cover band occasionally and spend a lot of time on R2

Just start with each control and really use your ears. It's a strange amp in that where you think the controls should be aren't neccesarily where they actually sound the best.

Scott:JAM

15. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

I have done it for years - I have owned a Mark IV combo since 1992 and it is my preferred set up - the gain is smoother and more rich, at least to my ears.

16. rollyfoster

lavaman, do you run class a or simul? i'm setting it up with my L6s tonight, but i have a feeling it's going to change when the new strat arrives.

Gibson L6s guitar, that is.

17. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

I replaced the 6L6's with EL34's. IMHO it makes the gain channels a bit more Marshally, but I think the clean suffers a little.

18. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I've tried just about every combination of tubes in my MKIV and I keep comming back to all 6l6's. El34's takes the Boogieness out of the amp IMHO.:dude :RoCkIn

19. rollyfoster

i like it. there's a bit more creaminess to the gain, and i've definitely had to back off the gain settings, too. the clean channel still sounds really good, not as bulbous as before, but i'm pleased.

20. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

I have had my 1x12 widebody Mark IV combo for about 4 months now. I bought it used from a Gear Page member and he also sent me some EL34 tubes that he used with it. I have not put them in yet because I get such good tones out of the 6L6s.

I have also found that while the amp sounds great with my humbucker guitars, it really shines with the Strat. In fact, the amp has influenced my decision to look into another Strat purchase.

One of these days I will put the ELs in just to hear the difference.

Good luck on your tone quest.