el84 amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ed_dale007, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

I currently own a Vox AC30 CC w/wharfs. When I bought it I figured I would upgrade the speakers later and all would be good in the world. But now I just dont find myself loing this amp the way I used to. I was thinking instead of upgrading the speakers I would just sell the amp and buy a AC30H2. But the one of the biggest issues I am facing is that 30 watts is just to loud for me. I have read tons and tons of great things about the goodsell super 17 as well as the gabriel voxer. I like the idea of getting a lower power head. Anybody in the same situation, have any advice, or own any of these amps?

2. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

You could consider the Ultimate Attenuator to dial down the volume. Or if you are set on considering another amp, look into the Divided by 13 JRT 9/15- it has a fantastic Vox voicing and is 15 watts in EL84 mode (it also has 6v6 tubes as well)

3. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

Size is also an issue. I drive a small car and the AC30 weighs a ton. Thats why I liked the idea of a low wattage head and a 1-12 cab.

4. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

get a Z Carmen Ghia combo.....end of story...

5. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

check out the Maz 18 thread, that amp kills

7. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

Yah? I really want to stay in the vox'ish vein. I have heard the maz is more fenderesque

8. PFunk

PFunk Member

Beware of the Goodsell- Nothing tame at all. Those amps really kick and sound great!

9. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Can't recommend the Voxer highly enough. The man makes stellar amps and is probably one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. You really ought to at least give Gabi a call...he genuinely cares about helping people out, even if you don't end up buying.

10. voxer

voxer Member

my gabriel voxer 18 has way more usable tones at much more manageable volumes than my experiences with AC30's.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Another way to go is a less efficient speaker maybe? Since you were planning on upgrading speakers anyway. 30 Watts into a 100db sensitivity speaker is a (to my ears) noticeable difference than into a 98db speaker.

Just a thought.

12. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

How about one of the many Quad EL84 amps out there with a Half-Power Switch?

I love my Sommatone Roaring 40, especially when I jam out with my 335 clone and the amp set to 20 watts .

But for larger venues, the full power mode is priceless to maintaining headroom and volume

13. apeshape

apeshape Member