EL84 Combo Speaker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goldstrat, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I am having a combo built for me by Nate at Bumbox Audio and I need some speaker suggestions. It will be a 1x12 and the amp will have 2 EL84's with a Marshall type circuit one channel, Master volume, presence and tone controls. I need to choose a 12" speaker for it and I am trying to get as close as possible to the Allman brothers Gov't Mule type sound. I have a Vintage 30 that I am going to use as an alternative to whatever I get. Any suggestions would be great and I do appreciate it. I like the Scumbag clips sound and I also really like the Germino Massonette. Thanks!

"Goldstrat"

2. dicky sofa

dicky sofa Guest

You might want to try a Weber Blue Dog to go with the Vin 30...

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got an 8-ohm Tone Tubby hempcone ceramic 12" for sale, if you're interested. Great sounding speaker. I'm running a pair of Blues now, so I don't use it for anything. PM me, if you have any questions.

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

The Mule tone may be better achieved with e Weber Silver Bell but the Blue Dogs' are a fantastic speaker

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I don't know if any of you guy's have tried the Eminence Red Fang, but I am totally sold on it! I installed it in my Mercury recently, and am in LOVE!

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

IMO, stay FAR away from Weber.

If you are after Allman tones nothing will get you there faster then Celestion. The new Heritage G12M is my favorite hands down.

I have a Top Hat Club Royale which is basically the same amp, EL-84 1X12. I had a G12H in it for a long time and was very happy, I just switched over to a G12M cause I wanted to bring the volume down a bit for small clubs.

I say get a G12M or G12H.

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The Weber C1230 and Blue Dog I have in a Bogner cabinet are a perfect match for EL-84s. I've had my share of Celestions too - good, but not far & away better than Webers - some are, some aren't.

IMO stay FAR away from a wholesale recommendation against a proven reputable source without any background whatsoever.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'd definitely avoid anything that says "Eminence" "Wizard" or "Tonespotter" on the back of it.:eek:

10. Mr.Hanky

Assuming this was directed my way I can say that I did own a Weber Silver Bell and Blues Dog and there were major problems with them and with Ted, I'll leave it at that.

Goldstrat, do me a favor. Do not take my word for it.
    You mentioned Allman Bros, and Greg Germino.
    Greg is one of the most highly respected amp builders in these parts, he is also a bichtin player, loves LP's and Marshalls, and is also a HUGE Allman Bros. fan.
    Drop him and E-mail and ask him what his hands down favorite current production speaker is these days.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

+1.

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Maybe I just lucked out, but I've owned two sets of Weber's Silver Bell and Blue Dog speakers and I haven't experienced any problems with them. No cone cry, ghost notes or the like here. Ted isn't the kind of guy to make a bad product and stick the consumer with a bad product. If there was ever an issue, I'm sure he'd take care of it right away.

This thread pertains to EL-84s. Marshalls are EL-34s and in a completely different league (and I mean that respectfully Mr. Hanky) :). I have no doubt in my mind something like a G12M would kick in a 4x12 through a Germino JTM-45 clone or similar, but with EL-84s, I've had success with my Webers :) It's really hard to beat an Alnico Blue for EL-84s, but they are a bit too expensive for me, so the Webers hit the frequencies I need for a lower price.

13. Mr.Hanky

Well, I disagree with both points but I'll stick with the amp portion of the discussion.

You are generalizing EL-84's.
    As I said my Top Hat loves Celestions, I have had three (GB, G12H and now Heritage) in it in addition to the Webers.

I also own a Masonette which I use with a Jenkins 2X12 loaded with the new G12M's semi-open and that is my favorite rig period. Again, I think you are generalizing Germino and Marshal amps cause if you were to hear the Masonette there is no way on God's green earth that you would guess or think it was a 6V6 based amp.

GB's definitly slam in a 4X12 no doubt BUT my experience with GB's, G12H's and the new Heritage G12M's has all been based in open back designs and they are fantastic.

As with any speaker you are going to get tons of opinions and that is what this place is all about. The only REAL way to find out is to try them. Collecting opinions can be a good idea but it can also be very frustrating.

14. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

Hey guys thanks for all the input. As always tone is subjective so nobody is wrong. I never had an EL84 amp but I do have an EL34 amp that is a Plexi copy and I also have a 6V6 Alamo amp thats cool. My Alamo has a Vintage 30 and my Avatar has a Vintage 30 and a G12H so I have an idea how those sound but not with EL84's. I never tried the Greenbacks or any Eminence speaks. Are the Greenbacks bright or warm? I have heard them described as both.

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Greenbacks in general are not harsh at all, especially in the mids department. Very mellow speaker. The heritage models are the best, and the chinese reissues are hit and miss.

-Rich:)

16. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i used a silver bell with no problem with a Carmen Ghia (switched out the mesa black shadow 90 for it) and have loved it ever since.

then again, with my Cub IIR, i'm using a modded Celestion.

dave

17. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

For that Allman Brothers tone you need JBL D120F's. JblLE120's, and K120's will work pretty well also.

18. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

The alnico Jensen P12N is a wonderful match to a good V30 in an el84 amp. The speakers compliment each other well and you get the magic of the alnico/ceramic dynamic. Clean to dirty, it's all there.

19. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I put a Heritage G12H30 in my Traynor Guitarmate. Man, its now a Portable Plexi. Highly reccomended. Very smooth speaker. It tamed the famous Guitarmate flubby baottom end, and th highs are nice and smooth,,no sharpness at all. Can`t wait til it breaks in.

CT.

20. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm not going to be argumentative here, Mr. Hanky. Greg's got a thing for G12M's, and his amps are voiced for them. I've heard a Masonette in person, and it prefers M's over any other speaker. Greg doesn't exclusively play Heritage M's, though, either, and he's trying out speaker options all the time. Right now there's a pair of Scumback M75-16's on their way to him, just for that purpose.

IME, open back combos do not deliver as much bass and low mids with an M as they do with an H magnet speaker, so you get a definitie midrange emphasis. If that's your tone, fine, go with it. As for a 4x12, that's where an M gets alot more bass due to the closed back design. So there's another tone/feel with the same speaker.

But for the most bang for your buck, you can't beat an "H" magnet speaker for the overall tone, feel and volume.