• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

EL84, EL844, EL86/6CW5

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
anyone have experience swapping these around in a small (18-ish) watt circuit? Thoughts on tone and volume?

pdf64

I would be concerned that el844 would suffer significant overdissipation if subbed into a regular 18 watt type amp.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I would be concerned that el844 would suffer significant overdissipation if subbed into a regular 18 watt type amp.
Agreed, but as I'm just formulating plans for the build, I can make those adjustments ahead of time.

pdf64

OK; to accommodate power tube types with differing plate dissipation ratings, my suggestion would be to include arrangements to vary the VB+, eg switched taps for the PT B+ winding, VVR, as my experience is that the overdriven tone of cathode biased guitar amps suffers when the operating conditions moves too far from class A.

Trending Topics