EL84 The perfect power tube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

El84's seems to have that something. I can't really say what that is but the Tomcat, The Carmen Ghia, SC30, Cage Corsa, Aiken Invader and Komet Connie all have something that gets my blood pumping. Although I've not played these the D13-33, AC30, and London 65 seem to be in the same ballpark.

When the EL84's a cooking I think the world is a better place.

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My Reinhardt is a 4xEL84 arrangement, and I just love the way they breakup. Also, there is an inherent chime and clarity that I just can't find anywhere else. I am happy.:)

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

You should hear my 2061X. Somewhere I'd heard about EL84's not having a lot of headroom. Well all I know is those EL 84's and my 4/10 Marshall sound huge!

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

4x10 is an ass kickin' cab to start. I like the way the sound is tight and focused with those 10"s.:dude

5. rastaman

rastaman Member

I know ;) , I'm thinking about splitting it into a 2- 2/10 cab. One set of 10's wired for 16ohms for the 2061X and the other set wired for 4ohms for my Artist 3023. I'll have many options w/ an AB/Y box. I bought a jack today, I'm fixing to go drill and rewire :dude .

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

EL-84s are my favorite as well :dude There simply isn't a different tube that can do "chime". I love the way it sounds with a very slight push and when it does break up, it's pure power tube goodness. No attenuators, power scaling or pedals needed to get overdrive, you just sit back and crank it... it's a beautiful thing :D

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You should talk to Mook, he has EL84 on his darn license plate! :eek:

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The thing about EL84 amps I dig, is they are fairly quiet compared to some amps that yield stadium volume before they begin to sound good. Too much volume is useless to me, but still my amp can get pretty loud if I want.:D

9. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

eight day, he created EL84's :dude

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Gotta love those EL84's.

My Balls M-18 smokes em pretty well. Got the Drive and the Chime all rolled up into one multi layered double fudge coverd in walnuts slathered in whipped cream chocalate cake. :D

Rastaman the more you talk about those 4x10s the more you make me want one. Then of coarse I'll have to have a 20 watter on top of it. :D

11. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

You are right about EL-84s - they chime and they cook. 6V6s aren't half bad either.

I like the little bottles better.

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

My first reaction to this is, "eh, I really did other tubes more...."

....but then I remembered the Bogner Metropolis. Now _THAT_ is a great argument for firing up some EL84s.

13. rastaman

rastaman Member

Just got done re-wiring her, all I need now is an AB box :dude !

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dude I gotta get out and do some things tomorrow. If you want me to I'll bring you one. I'll do it.

I want to know what the hell it sounds like.

15. rastaman

rastaman Member

I saw your email, just messing w/ you. We're going to be busy tomorrow also, up until nap time for the little one. I was going to try to make your pedal tomorrow afternoon.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well you've got me pretty curious about this hole 2x10 20 watter 2x10 Artist thing. I'd like to check that out.

17. rastaman

rastaman Member

You better believe I'm gonna crank'em tomorrow.

We've got to have a jam soon up at your place. I'm going to discuss an open time with the boss tomorrow and you've got too much to haul like we spoke about so I need to get with it.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Tell da boss ya wannna set up an appointment to see da Big Tone Daddy. :D

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Oh BTW rehearsals are starting Tuesday for laying down Tracks. I'm ready. My good Buddy Pat brought his Drums over Saturday and set them up. He's gonna leave em here.

Went and saw a band this evening. Black Mountain Side. Cool Band Drummer Kicked Major Butt and I mean it. To beat it all they are all 13. One of em used to be my neihbor. I must have had some sort of effect on him. These guys were rocking.

They were doing Sweet Child of Mine, Eruption, and several origionals.

They are doing evrything from the old rock to brand new stuff. I offered them to come over and lay down some tracks. They said they would do it. You would not believe this littel drummer. He is beating the crap out of em. He is doing kick ass fills and runs and landing back right on the mark. He did a drum solo in My Generation and I was amased.

It gives you a tiny little glimpse that the Human Race is evolving right in front of you but you must really look to see it.

20. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

Though both my amps have EL-84s--Komet Connie & 63 AC30-- im thinking its really the circuit that matters. I mean Ive heard EL-34 Marshalls and Trainwreck that had tone to die for. And my old 57 deluxe --that i never shoulda sold-- with 6V6's had a tone that was straight from heaven. And ive heard EL84 amps I didnt like..so i think its just really if an amp has a good circuit for the tube it runs more than the tube type itself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.