el84 won't sit tight in the socket

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Jan 22, 2006.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

what can i do? the original tube was tight and when i replaced it the new tube isn't. when i play i can hear it rattling really bad. anything i can do?

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

bump...

would a band clamp work? tighten it real tight around the tube socket to squeeze the tube a little? if not i guess i can solder in a new tube socket. shouldn't be too hard

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I think the pin tensioners in the socket can be adjusted (with some difficulty)

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

how would i go about doing that

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Just tighten the actual tube connectors. They're like little sleeves and if you wedge somenting like a small nail in between the sleeve and the shell it will force the connector closed. The worst you can do is break it....unelss you have it plugged in....you might want to discharge the caps. You can do it without pulling the chassis if you have access &/or check the connectors with a meter before touching. If you don't know what I'm talking about don't touch it.

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

thanks for the reply. i'll try that tomorrow. i have it unplugged now. gotta get a meter from a friend. don't want to die!!! actually shouldn't be a problem at all. just didnt know those little things can be tightened like that.

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

got a friend that can do that. he has worked on amps before. taking it to him.

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

this got me thinking. how hard is it to bleed the caps properly? it has to be relatively easy (dangerous as well) for just about any competent person with the right tools. not that i would consider trying it until shown in person the proper method, but it can't be that hard can it?

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

didn't take it as you telling me i was uncapable. i think it's just the fact that there is no room for error. the guy i know isn't an amp "tech" but he has worked on electronics forever so he knows his stuff pretty well. time to learn step 1 so i can do this by myself next time. thanks for the help guys.

10. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

hey wsaraceni !!
    use something made of wood to bend them, like a shishkabob scewer.
    it's made of wood and has a pionty end. they sell them at the food store, you'll get plenty in the pak.
    always use wood , like a chop stick, or?? to mess around with amp inerds, moving wires, etc..!!
    myles

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

not a bad idea? anyone care to share a reason why that wouldn't be a 100% safe alternative. unless say i get a splinter

12. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

btw...
    i've used the chop stick, drum stick,etc on several opened up amps with out a problem. no shock at all. even plugged in and running , moving wires to get rid of (locate the cause of) oscillation.
    myles

13. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

that should be on video

14. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

wsaraceni-

If you're replacing a tube in a Bad Cat, I know that some brands of tube won't fit in the clamp they use. Stupid, I know. If this is what's happening you should definitely email Bad Cat and bitch. Also ask what tubes fit properly.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Rubber gloves....

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

it's the mini cat and it looks to me as if it's a generic looking socket. i know it was me that messed up because the original tube won't fit either. i must have stretched the things when i was putting it in without realizing.

17. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

File that one in the "missed opportunities" category. With a camcorder and some patience you had a sure America's Funniest Home Videos grand prize winner.
    :BEER