EL84's: NOS and Not So NOS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BozoTone, Jan 21, 2006.

1. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

In the last few weeks I satisfied some G.A.S. pains and bought my first bunch of TRUE NOS tubes...very special thanks to Mike at KCA for the Teslas: EL84's + E83CC and Amperex GZ34 rectifier...from Terry at tubetramp.com, the Polam/Telam EL84's...to this point, all of my tubes purchases have been new glass or what I am now seeing as questional "good" pulls of older tubes...My Test Bench: Goodsell Super 17... this is a 17 watt, 1X12 semi open back deep birch/pine combo with a Celestion Heritage G12H30 55hz...the amp itself has (1) 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tube, (1) 12AX7/ECC83 phase inverter, a GZ34 tube rectifier and (2) EL84's.
    Of the EL84's, the Teslas are big, fat, warm sounding tubes. If you have an amp that has a peaky-spikey top end, lack of warmth (or for an amp that has a V30 with the same characteristics), these are the magic..for the fun of it, I dropped an Eminence Legend V12 (V30-ish speaker) into my amp with the Teslas and could be very happy with this combination alone...if I had a 335 type guitar, this is how I'd go. The Polam/Telams absolutely dropped my jaw!!!..just floored me...it is so hard to describe what these do...."It..Is..ALIVE"....(sorry for the Young Frankenstein quote). As much as the Goodsell makes me sit and shake my head in disbelief, the Polams just multiply how awsome this circuit is...along with the Teslas, I have had GE's, Mullards (the 2 questional pulls), EH's and JJ's ( EH's being the best new production to my ear) in my amp, but nothing runs with these bad boys. I have yet to try EI's, Amperex, Sylvania's, RCA's or Tungsrams, but it's hard to imagine anything sounding better.....

2. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Uh...ooops, this thread needs to be moved to Amps and Cabs:jo

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

4. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Thanks Scott...............

5. davebc

davebc Member

I'd actually like to hear a LOT MORE about the Goodsell. That amp has been giving me SERIOUS gas pains, rich, rich, rich organic textures.

Please share your thoughts about the 17. It just may be my next purchase.

6. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

I've got goodsell on order, and will gladly chime in when it arrives next week or two...

7. davebc

davebc Member

The sample tones on the website are addicting, unlike anything else I've heard, a very unique sounding amp imo. The 17 also seems very resonable priced.

Sorry I didn't mean to hyjack this thread boys. Carry on.

8. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

davebc...lolol...asking me about the Super 17 is like asking Tag about Brunos....I could fill up more bandwith about them than a video...In about a 4-6 week period I went to most of the great boutique amp shops in my area (Atlanta, Chattanooga) and listened to everything I could find from Carr, Fargen, Diesel, Saldano, Koch, Savage, Matchless, Vox (HW and CC) Aiken, Orange, Dr.Z, Fender (Bassman LTD, '57 Twin RI, DRRI), Marshall (HW's), Genz-Benz, Roccaforte, Holland, Victoria and I am sure there is something I have forgot...funny enough, 1 of the first amps I played was the Goodsell. Everything else I listened to that day, in the same shop, and other places, just missed something...MOJO...I went back to Atlanta Discount Music two more times after that just to make sure my mind and ears were playing tricks on me..THEY WEREN'T...the Super 17 is an amazing amp...it can go from a very lush, full "jazz king" to a Tweed-ish nice edge of breakup. The nice open chime comes from the Matchless/Vox DNA in it's blood , and it has some 18watt tendances...since purchasing the Goodsell, I have gone back to few of the stores and A/B'd against some of the amps mentioned...the bloodlines are there...it also has a very nice voice of it's own with Vol. set at 3:00, Tone set at 12:00 and Gain at 9:00 is sounds just like a...............................................
    ............................................................................Goodsell.....

9. davebc

davebc Member

Thanks, I can really appreciate your enthusiasm. Man, I wish I had someplace to go and either hear one or take it for a test drive. I've got a good arsenal of "boutiquy" and vintage amps, but the 17 has really been haunting me.
    I'm going to try to track a friend of mine Dan Toler who has also been giving them the big thumbs up to get his thoughts as well.

Feel free to share any other sonic kinds of apraisals that may come to your mind. I've also been giving some thought to the divided by 13 9/15, a Carr Mercury that I can get a ridiculous deal on, or a Tone King Meteor, the new series.

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a matched quad of Polam EL84s and Telam EL84s (same company) and they are KILLER! I like them better than my Amperex EL84s.

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I'm a big fan of the Polams as well. Same experience as you, after I heard them I was converted. My Hayseed sounded great but it is amazing with the Polams. I have many NOS EL84's (Mullard, Amperex, Siemens, various Valvo's) and these have been my favorite.

I'm a sucker for original boxes when it comes to NOS tubes so I stocked up from Terry before he ran out.

[​IMG]

12. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Sundaypunch, those pink & black boxes are quite the eye candy :D , but certainly do stand out in the tube stash...would be interested in yours and Macaronis' take on the Amperex's.........

13. davebc

davebc Member

Damn, those are all the same 84's that I use, with the addition of the GE's which my Matchless's love.
    These Polams must be pretty amazing. I haven't heard anything come cose to my Valvos or Mullards.
    I can't believe I've never heard of the Polams. That's the great thing about this place, playing 35 years and I still learn something everyday!

14. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Does anybody know where I can pick up a pair of these Polams?

Sundaypunch, thats enough Polams for a lifetime :AOK
    Would you hook a fellow forum member up?
    Purdey Purdey Purdey Purdey Please:D

15. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I think Mike at KCA has Telam EL84's in stock. They are susposedly the same tube made at the same factory (no pretty boxes though). I haven't tried them to compare. I'm hoarding my Polams. At this point I wouldn't sell a set to my mother. :)

The Polams seem to be a sleeper. I hadn't heard of them either until last year when some people over at the Plexi Palace started raving about them. I had been using a quad of Amperex that I really liked. The Mullards I have tried have also been great but were darker sounding to me. I'm also not big on paying $300 a quad.

16. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Thank for the info SP,I will give Mike a shout.
    I was gonna say you could keep the purdy box:D

I just picked up my first EL-34 amp(18wt Aiken Invader) and im going too do a little tube experimenting. Sounds like the Polum might be a good place too start. I'm so thrilled with the tone of this amp that I've got to sit on my hands to keep from clapping:D I honestly didn't think that an amp like this existed. It fits me that well.

Thanks Bozotone for this informative thread.

17. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Sharky, it's what TPG is all about...Sundaypunch, I was wonderin' why your mother started calling here not long after I posted that I had Polams.....

18. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I have had numorous requests for more information on the Goodsell Super17 and the rest of the Goodsell line, so to save bandwidth, here is the link: www.superseventeen.com
    I would like to hear about any other EL84's charateristics.........