1. Kezend

Kezend Member

hey,
    i have to change my power amp tubes in my laney vc30, and ive never changed tubes before. i have 4 sovtek 84s in there atm, and theres a nasty microphonic squeal coming at periodic intervals. and i tapped them gently with a screwdriver, (not sure if thats good haha) and one went haywire as soon as i touched it, so im sure its that one. but they havent been changed in 2 years so im gonna do them all. question is: which brand of El84? im looking to get a more modern feel, more treble and brighter sound out of it. thats about it.
    thanks if anyone knows the audible differences between them

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

JJ/Tesla brand probably have what you're after. Brighter and a bit more headroom than the Sovtek, IME. 2 years is a good long lifespan for power tubes. Tapping tubes is fine, that's a great way to find the microphonic ones. I use a plastic Sharpie marker. I get a little nervous poking a metal shaft near high voltage sockets.

3. Kezend

Kezend Member

ah cheers. i used the back of the screwdriver, the plastic handle bit. i like to think im not a drongo!
    i read some valve reviews on watfordsvalves.com, and they said the Harma E84L are pretty good, but ill check out the JJ's
    thanks

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Watford's re-brand, "Harma," are JJ tubes - just ones they've tested their way, and relabeled.

If you've played a lot in those two years, you'd probably notice that any new power tubes will be brighter. If you'd like very sparkly bright, with tremendous clarity, try the older "Tesla" (not JJ). I know Mike at KCA has these NOS for reasonable cost. Make sure to specify your amp type, when ordering.

- T

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

JJs are good but in my experience, of current production tubes, EI's are the best going.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, the NOS Teslas are brighter and cleaner for sure. They make JJs sound like mud by comparison. I think that Laney has wired their EL84 sockets incorrectly though, prohibiting the use a NOS and even some new production (EI?) EL84s that meet the REAL EL84 internal wiring specification.