electric 12 string fan club

SimAlex

i am absolutely loving my new Burns 12 (pic attached.)

it's really changing how i play. i find myself focusing way more on chords and arrangements. i.e., new voicings, different expressions and extensions – and working melodic lines off of them. i find myself focusing on song arrangement and rhythm rather than speed, because my 12 is not a fast guitar in the low-action-blazing-lead sense of fast. i can get around on it, but there's just a lot more tension and my fretting hand is having to get way, way stronger, quickly. a great thing long-term, but a bit frustrating at times now.

tonally, the natural chorusing that comes just from strumming any chord, it's incredible. it really feels like i'm playing a combo of a piano and a guitar.

anyone else out there love their electric 12s? a way underused instrument, imho.

Attachments

I bought a Fender xii reissue last year and while i haven't gigged with it yet, it appears on a lot of my recordings as an extra texture in various sections . You can get very creative with different tunings (I like DADGAD a lot) and delays / chorus and it seems to bring a real lift and colour to the mix. Very evocative instrument.

Jayyj

Supporting Member
I use my 12 string a lot for recording. It's an old 60s Harmony, a real tank with the biggest neck I've ever seen on a guitar, but it sounds great - I think gold foils are a really good match for 12 strings. I do quite fancy a 60s Epiphone Riviera 12 but in the meantime the Harmony is a good substitute.

SimAlex

I use my 12 string a lot for recording. It's an old 60s Harmony, a real tank with the biggest neck I've ever seen on a guitar, but it sounds great - I think gold foils are a really good match for 12 strings. I do quite fancy a 60s Epiphone Riviera 12 but in the meantime the Harmony is a good substitute.

that is a gorgeous guitar.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
Yes.
The underdog Hamer Eclipse. Shockingly resonant and 3D for a solid slab of mahogany.
Damn... seconds ago I finished posting the sad story of selling mine and how I wish I still had it. The universe is now rubbing my nose in it, I guess. But that was the ultimate electric 12-string; I owned a Rick way back when and played an original Fender XII, so I have reference points, and neither one was in the same league as the Eclipse.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Count me in. I'm playing a lot more 12 string these days with my new project. I have two Rickenbacker 330-12s and have posted photos of them a couple of times lately, so I won't do it again. Check the thread, "Bring Out Your Rickenbackers." They're both outstanding guitars and those of you who know me, know I'm a huge Rick fan. I also have a Danelectro 59X12 I like.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Supporting Member
I've never had a 12 string of any kind and only recently got my first Ric, a 360, but all those years of listening to Tom Petty (among others), makes me think I NEED one at some point... decisions, decisions.

Starshine

I've had a few cheaper 12 strings: Italia Rimini, Ibanez AS73-12 and a Danelectro. I love playing them, but never used them enough to justify keeping any of them. I sure miss the Italia, though.

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
I have a really cheap Chinese strat style 12 that I worked on to play well. I also have a Dano 12 (59?) that plays very nicely. I grew up on an Epi Texan 12 so these scratch my itch for the electric 12 sounds I need.

Trending Topics