electric 12 string fan club

mrpinter

Supporting Member
I agree with everything the OP said about electric 12s. There's nothing like them. I love my former company's SB2 model 12 (now shut down, so no spam). It's 3 custom wound mini humbuckers really make it sing. Here is my friend, recording and performing artist Brad Rabuchin playing it at an Amp Show in Van Nuys, CA a few years ago:

ToneDeVille

Supporting Member
I have an old Ric 330-12 (80's) that has been a gig companion for a long time. But it's also a fantastic studio guitar. Often I'll put a mic on the upper "f" hole and play a part for a song without amping the guitar. The acoustic sound that comes from the body, when mic'd, adds a cool 12 string texture to the mix.
Also, I also use a MIJ Fender Strat 12 in the studio. The Strat wiring and switching make for some great electric 12 string tones.
Add a bit of compression, maybe some chorus, or a Janglebox and it brings even more options to the mix.

RBH

Like the Ovation Hurricane - I've always wanted a deacon 12 . I had a line on one a couple of years ago and let it pass. I ended up buying an Ibanez and I've gotten a few nice recordings out of it. The Deacon will be a collectors item in a few I think.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Rick 360/12 in JetGlo. I bought it new 29 and half years ago. I have struggled to play that beast for all those years. Doesn't set up well, won't stay in tune if the strings aren't freshly installed, and the thin neck have just never worked. But, I love it.

1600344441534.png

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Rick 360/12 in JetGlo. I bought it new 29 and half years ago. I have struggled to play that beast for all those years. Doesn't set up well, won't stay in tune if the strings aren't freshly installed, and the thin neck have just never worked. But, I love it.

View attachment 278516
I think the problem might be, you haven't taken it to a luthier who knows how to set it up properly. I run into Rick owners all the time who have the same issue you do and this is always the case. They use a luthier who doesn't know how to deal with Ricks. They're finicky guitars with the two truss rods, but if they are set up right, they should play fine and stay in tune.

I'm working with a guitar player now who sold something like six Ricks in frustration, including a Roger McGuinn model, all because they wouldn't stay in tune. He has a 360-12 now and had trouble with it, until he took it to my guy here in NJ and now it plays beautifully. No issues, no problems. Stays in tune.

Last edited:

johnsav

My Dano 12 is disassembled right now. The neck went twisty and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it.
I'd love to have one like Arto Lindsay's Danelectro 12, but they seem rare.

Urobouros

Supporting Member
I love the electric 12 string! I had a Rick but sold it because the the neck was too narrow for my taste. When I found Lester the Twelfth a few years back he ticked all the boxes. He's an anchor so I usually play sitting down & ironically, the only LP I've played with 57 classics that I actually like :cool:

drive-south

I’ve got a Danelectro 12 string that I like. I mostly use it to record. It sounds great, and sometimes I play it a bit just for fun. View attachment 277658
I have the same Danelectro in white. Great guitar. I love everything about it. I used to own a Rick 360 but never bonded with it due to the neck. I also had an Epiphone Rivera 12 but could never get it set up to play right, and it also had a skinny neck. The Danelectro is perfect.

Trending Topics