Electric drum recommendation

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by coldinWI, Jan 25, 2015.

1. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

Hi,

I bought a used Roland TD-10 set some time back. It had the old style of pads. 3-4 of the pads are now not functioning. I'd like to get another set, but am floored by the prices. There are used sets out there, but I'm worried that I'll end up with the same problem with those sets (bad pads, or glitchy electronics).
    The main reason I want a set is to patch into my Mac for recording (Garage band and Logic). I'd like to spend around $500. Is there another brand you'd recommend, or maybe one of the cheaper Roland sets?

Thanks,

John

2. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Your options are pretty limited with that budget.

If you still have your TD10, you could look at replacing your pads with the current Roland PDX series mesh pads that come with the TD-11 and TD-15. These can be found used on Amazon for ~$100 each.

I have a TD-15 and those pads feel and work great.

3. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

Thanks - Most of the replacement stuff I've seen is pretty expensive. By the time I buy 3-4 pads, I'd be 2/3 of the way to a much newer set. I was hoping there were other brands that people liked, that were not quite as expensive (like maybe the Yamaha's etc.)

4. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

I'm almost completely sold on a td-1kv set for myself. It's certainly the bottom of the barrel for roland, but I don't gig on drums or anything, just want something that isn't too loud for the family. Every video I see on it makes it look better. The onboard sounds aren't great, but it has midi so you can use SD2 or any other sample pack. For 600 bucks I think it's a pretty solid set.

5. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Search for cakepan on the vdrums forum (see link below) and build your own triggers with old acoustic drum toms. You can even cut a drum in half and get two pads out of one drum. You can buy Roland replacement mesh heads, too. I had a set and they worked great. Get a midi to usb and some software like toontrack and breathe new life into that TD10 kit. There's nothing special about those pads BTW and if I can do it, anyone can. If I were to start over again today on a budget, I wouldn't buy anything over a TD8 module strictly for triggering midi (positional sensing on snare, i.e. Dual zone is important for realism and that TD10 has it) which I owned twice and also owned a couple TD12s. Cakepan toms all the way around. PM if you have questions...I was a Roland vdrum user for about 12 years. 8 years using just the module, 4 years strictly triggering midi. That vdrums forum is invaluable.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...zone-trigger-collaboration-chromeboy-jmanword

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Pintech stuff is good.

7. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

thank you very much

8. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

+1 for Pintech. Like the good Rolands without the hefty price tag.

9. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Yup. go cheap with the kit and spend the money you saved on a software program. As long as the kit has midi.