Electric Guitar for a bass player (finger style)

adi

I play bass but am thinking of buying an electric guitar for recording, i play with my thumb and the index and middle fingers, a lot of arpeggiated chords.
Are there any guitars that are better for this style or can I set up a guitar in a way which could help?

Falsecrack

Gold Supporting Member
The Bass is my main instrument too, but I use a pick when I play guitar.
However, my brother who is far and away, the better player between the both of us, ditched the pick more than 10 years ago, and he doesn’t seem to have a problem playing that way on any guitar he owns, or that I’ve seen him pick up and play.

Last edited:
Reactions: adi

adi

The Bass is my main instrument too, but I use a pick when I play guitar.
However, my brother who is far and away, the better player of the both of us, ditched the pick at least 10 years ago, and he doesn’t seem to have a problem playing that way on any guitar he owns or that I’ve seen him pick up and play.
Thanks Falsecrack :) I dont have much trouble playing but i do get a much heavier and bassier attack which is unlike a pick attack when recording
maybe all it needs is some high-pass (or low shelf) :)

Last edited:

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe start off with heavier strings on the electric to begin with. Going from acoustic guitar to electric takes some adjustment, in no small part due to the difference in typical string gauge, and I think you'll probably experience the same thing transitioning from bass. Try 11s on your electric, possibly even flatwounds.

Or don't -- just jump in. This is one of those things where you should just learn by doing and not get hung up on any particular right or wrong way. Really any guitar would do.

For some reason I prefer shorter Gibson scale length, 24 3/4", to Fender and typical acoustic scale length, 25 1/2", for fingerpicking.

Tony Done

A fairly wide neck might help if you're used to a bass, and heavyish strings, as suggested by scelerat.

adi

Maybe start off with heavier strings on the electric to begin with. Going from acoustic guitar to electric takes some adjustment, in no small part due to the difference in typical string gauge, and I think you'll probably experience the same thing transitioning from bass. Try 11s on your electric, possibly even flatwounds.

Or don't -- just jump in. This is one of those things where you should just learn by doing and not get hung up on any particular right or wrong way. Really any guitar would do.

For some reason I prefer shorter Gibson scale length, 24 3/4", to Fender and typical acoustic scale length, 25 1/2", for fingerpicking.
Thanks scelerat :) I'll try heavier strings will find out if they make a difference.
I currently have a friend's carparelli for a few days, which probably the same scale length as a les paul's (looks like a les paul) so will try the strings as i have to restring it anyway :)

adi

A fairly wide neck might help if you're used to a bass, and heavyish strings, as suggested by scelerat.
Thanks Tony Done :) I do find nylon strings easier to play for sure, on thinner necks my left hand fingers feel congested.. i am going to look at nut width on guitars before buying.

Trending Topics