Electric Guitar for Rhythm?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jemac, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Jemac

Jemac Member

I am a rhythm guitar player/lead vocalist for an indie rock band, as well as the worship leader for a church, and looking to get an electric guitar. I have been an acoustic player forever, and know little about electric guitars. What brands/models would y'all recommend? I'd like to stay below $1000 if possible.

2. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

you are going to get one million different pieces of advice but I'll go ahead and say it first. There are many possible options to fit the bill, but you simply can't go wrong with a Fender hard tail stratocaster. Buy a nice MIJ (made in Japan) used one, or maybe get a used G&L if you are looking to keep the price down.

3. rummy

rummy Member

You can play rhythm and sing on any guitar!
    Try a Strat or an LP type of instruments.

4. Serenity

Serenity Member

Loads of guitars are going to fit what you've asked. Recommend you go to a shop and try a whole load of 'em and see what you like and dislike. But if you're really after recommendations, i suggest you try Fender Telecaster's. A Baja would be a good place to start.

5. NormH3

NormH3 Member

How about an ES-335.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I would look at electrics with a similar scale length to your acoustic so the general feel will be similar. Most acoustics are 24.6-25.4" with some that come in as long as 25.9". Fenders and their offshoots are mostly 25.5" and Gibsons 24.75".

Jazzmasters, Strats, Teles... these have a slightly brighter tone that is great for rhythm stylings as the open chords and will snap out a little more cleanly. Just hit up a larger store and play a few to see what feels best.

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've always considered the Telecaster to be the perfect electric guitar for playing parts that usually lend themselves best to acoustic guitars.

$0.02

8. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

what would Jesus play?

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with a telecaster.

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You need to decide whether you like single coils or humbucker pickups, 24 3/4, 25 or 25 1/2 scale neck, what neck profile you like, whether you want a whammy bar, how many frets you want, how hot you want the pickups to be, what neck radius you like, etc. There's no way you can get any useful suggestions the way the question is asked.

11. Bobbyb

Bobbyb Member

Some of this would depend on what "indie" is in this case as there's a wide variety of guitar styles there but for me, if my style was rooted in acoustic and I wanted to minimally adapt style Id get a Rickenbacker. Another consideration would be some type of gretsch jet. That will cut a bit more and give a little more sass. If I was going full bore and hammering out riffs and chords and all these other things I'd get something p90s. Like a les Paul jr or variant. One pjckup and knob would be great as you have less things to interrupt the concentration on singing and performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Yeah, when in doubt grab a Tele. Doesn't hurt that they are pretty much indestructible as well.

13. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I agree with a hard tail start or a tele. They will stay in tune for days and offer a nice clean platform.

14. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

15. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Teles; they're great for pretty much everything, almost.

One consideration is what kind of pickups you want to have, since that will be a huge part of your tone. Single coils cut through well and aren't muddy, tho you might need to ride your volume & tone controls a bit. However they can be noisy, especially if you are playing with gain. However there are many noiseless single coil options out there.

P90s are great but they can be a bit strident; might not be what you're looking for. If you're playing mostly with gain, humbuckers sound a bit smoother than single coils, and generally tend to offer more sustain when in a Les Paul-type. But on the whole single coils might serve you best, it sounds like--if you're used to acoustic, and you're playing rhythm, sustain isn't super important.

The Mexican Teles are a good deal (play a few, they're pretty inconsistent owing to the price point) and you'll have money left over for pedals or other stuff.

If you're new to electric, you'll find that once you've had one for a while you'll get a much firmer idea of what you like and don't like. I went through a few acoustics until I found my magic recipe. When you buy used then it's easy to flip stuff.

16. Ulug

Ulug Member

Or, put a pick-up on that acoustic, and go John Campbell style...

17. Kato10

Kato10 Member

Another Tele vote.

18. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

Jesus would probably play a tele. But which one?

Seriously though, you need to go to a store.

19. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Just to enlighten you, ahem, you need an amplifier to go with that electric guitar. Just kidding, you left yerself wide open there.

Seriously, go to a guitar shop and try out several guitars and amps.

Good luck have fun!

Grungy :Devil

20. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

In the beginning, there was ... The Telecaster. On the other hand, Jesus had a beard and iconic hair, so he might play a Jazzmaster?