Electric Guitar Sales Numbers, 2005-2016

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by IAm MI, Jan 3, 2018.

1. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Edit: These are United States sales, not global.

Not drawing any conclusions or predicting any doom or revival. Just thought I'd share numbers I've been seeking out for a while now:

Electrics are down from about 1.65 million in 2005 to 1.07 million in 2016.

That counts electric basses, which are down from 248,000 in 2010 to 154,000 in 2016.

Amps are down a ton as well.

Pedals are actually way up.

Interestingly, the high end seems to be relatively fine.

These numbers are from The Music Trades. It will be interesting to see where 2017 comes in.

Post edited to remove link to publicly unviewable source, and to only pass on a few data points.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    scotth likes this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Bad link....you have to pay for premium service (or whatever) to see the numbers...or at least I have to.....How about a copy and paste?

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

How would one even come up with accurate numbers on this? Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez, Taylor, Martin, they're all privately held. What reason do they have to provide numbers to anyone but their bankers?

4. gtone

gtone Member

Why don't you just tell us the drop in sales numbers data?

5. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Original post edited to have a few numbers, no links (because they appear not to work).

6. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Not surprising. The world already had more guitars than it needs.

7. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

I can share more via DM. I don't want to be publishing too much here if I am not 100% certain of the sharing rules. This is no more than you might find in a well researched article.

8. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

If Fender reintroduces the Electric XII their sales are going to go up by at least 1.

9. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

I'd bet there are many more independent luthiers in 2016 versus 2005 which might close the 600,000 gap a little.

MassProducedDreamer likes this.
  10. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

They do an annual "Census." Industries often do this kind of self-reporting, as the individual company data is not revealed, only the aggregate, which can be useful.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  11. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

I had no idea sales were anywhere close to a mil...even with players buying their 3rd, 4th, 5th guitar it leaves a lot of first-time purchases.

jrjones likes this.
  12. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

It is surprising, so imagine what it would be if they included private sales (Reverb, TGP. eBay, CL, etc). I DO understand that is not the point of the original report, I'm just saying there is a lot more new guitar buying going on than I thought, even if it is down, and if you add in used, well...

84superchamp likes this.
  13. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Sheesh, who buys anymore? Swap deals are up 100000% bro!

WholeLottaGlove likes this.
  14. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Well, used is a different matter, in that it does nothing to keep new manufacturing supported. The decline is irrefutable, though. Will it continue? No way to know. But it is interesting.

15. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Many fewer than before, of course. Electric guitar isn't dead. Not at all. But there's no doubt that there is a long term decline under way. The only question is whether and when any rebound takes place.

84superchamp likes this.
  16. 0010 0001 0011 1111 1110

0010 0001 0011 1111 1110 Member

So if demand is down and supply is same as ever, shouldn't prices be going down I stead of up? Something doesn't make sense here.

fretless likes this.
  17. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Actually I for one am shocked.

I bought shares in one of Europes largest music retailers, this year alone the company plans to expand by opening a further 19 warehouses in 17 countries. I'm not going to provide any actual numbers, but what I wil say is this:

1. on an average week over 1000 electric guitars are sold, just 6 string electrics
    2. most of the guitars sold cost £500 and below
    3. the number of guitars, both number of brands and numbers of guitars kept in stock has been steadily increasing since I bought into the company
    4. the value of my stock has tripled in 2017, and done more than that since I first bought in back in 2015/6
    The only place that I hear or read about the ''death of music'' or ''the death of guitars'' is on TGP, everything that I have seen from other sources says the opposite, every manufacturer is increasing the numbers of guitars that they make, and increasing the numbers of models that they have available, people like Ola - Solar Guitars, Zakk Wylde - Wylde Audio, and numerious others are opening guitar companies.

This is me taking two minutes to very briefly mention the quitar side of the music store I bought into, I've not mentioned anything about the sales of other instruments or music products and tools that this company sells.

18. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

That assumes supply is the same as ever, which it may not be. Also, it presumes that all electric guitars are the same, identical and interchangeable commodities, which they most certainly are not. The demand for higher priced electric guitars is not the same as demand for lower to middle priced guitars.

19. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Well, for one thing, the numbers I cite are for the United States, not Europe. This wouldn't be the first time that trends between those two regions diverged.

And the Washington Post is not a subsidiary of TGP, so:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...f-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.26d7e5994bdb

20. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Local Mom Pop store here this Xmas season sold

0 high end electrics- had at least 20 on sale
    0 drum sets- they had 7 Sonor and Pearl sets brand new for sale. Still can't unload any even at less than MF prices.
    0 bass guitars- well.. it's bass
    10 Student off brand guitar/amp combos
    24 $29 Ukuleles

The store sales were dismal compared to other years.