Electric Guitar Sales Numbers, 2005-2016

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by IAm MI, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mark123

mark123 Member

About the same thing that I hear from my local mom and pop. Electrics are not selling, they did OK on acoustic and sold a bunch of Uke's. For some reason Ukes are kinda the fad with kids these days. He is a Samick/Greg Bennet dealer and electrics have declined so much that Samick/Greg Bennet have stopped making electric guitars although they still may be OEMing them for other big names. The acoustics still sell pretty well though.

2. Neenja

Neenja Member

I blame piracy.

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

If Fender makes it a Squier Vintage Modified Electric XII then we can make that 2.

sink and Nevets like this.
  4. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

I saw my first copy Parker Fly yesterday, I didn't think that Parker's and Parker Fly's where a big enough or popular enough brand or model of guitar to bother making a copy of. It was actually a pretty good guitar as long as you weren't trying to kid yourself that it was a real Parker Fly, but it was easily a match in terms of build quality to a new PRS SE.

5. dohmar

dohmar Member

Not hugely surprising in the USA numbers - as noted, there are more than enough good/great electrics out there for players to use. I would see the high end being untouched as a sign that professionals and hobbyists alike are avoiding crap knockoffs and poorly constructed, mass produced guitars and amps. Europe sounds like its going well but here in Adelaide our oldest music store (founded 1901) closed suddenly, and this is the latest in a long line of retailers. I personally put this down to the import duty, shipping and markup inherent to Australian retailers - its expensive by dint of geography and necessity (its a big, sparse country), but the retailers have also gouged the buyer historically. In my 25 years of playing guitar I've never once bought brand new guitars. I've bought a couple of amps and pedals new, however the majority of the pedals were traded locally and the 2 mesa amps I owned were actually from england, second hand.

-D

fretless likes this.
  6. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

I've been playing for 20 years and bought my first new guitars this year. A Takamine and a Charvel.

7. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

That's Europe, where the arts are still valued and where governments funnel a fair amount into arts support.
    Is that company making a big push into the US market?

jrjones and neuman like this.
  8. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Yet the company is opening it's first warehouse outside of Europe this year in America of all places, personally due to the way Americans use music stores like remtal stores except they don't pay to rent the instruments I can't see the American warehouse lasting. Yet people who are far smarter than me, and who have forgotten more about the musical instrument business than I will ever know seem to think it's the thing to do.

And don't kid yourself about funding for the arts in Europe. especially the U.K.

9. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I'd bet you'd find acoustics are up, by quite a bit. Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Passenger etc. are the heroes today.

10. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

I selling off most of my high end electrics and actually bought 3-4 inexpensive electric guitars in 2017.

Sold the Rick Kelly pine Tele, Martin D41DF, '55 Bassman, just a few more to go.

Bought a Gibson SG for $999, an Epiphone 335 for $445, a Fender American Pro Tele Deluxe Shawbucker for $1375 and a Fender Geo Harrison Rosewood Tele for $2400.

I don't know how these B&M stores do it.

11. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

Well, making money in musical instruments doesn't have to mean electric guitar. If they're filling that warehouse with acoustics and DJ gear, they may do fine.

Kyle B likes this.
  12. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

They're flat, basically - up a year, down a year, but basically the same over the past 10 years - which is a big win in context.

13. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I shouldn't generalize "Europe" as a singular entity, but I've talked with local/regional musicians who play there and the differences are remarkable, not only in the venues, but regarding pay, and an appreciation that you simply do not see here anymore. Maybe it looks worse on the other side, but I'm living in a country where music programs and art classes are the first to be cut from curricula. My alma mater, a public four year land grant university, came alarmingly close to dropping it's fine art program a few years ago, but there's money to pay the football and basketball coaches. Six out of the top ten highest paid public employees in my former state of residence, are coaches.

No. More like acoustics aren't down as much as others.

14. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I have more guitars than I need :confused:

shane88 and Kyle B like this.
  15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Well hold on just a minute ...

Define "needs". ;)

IAm MI and Kyle B like this.
  16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Not at my place.

IAm MI and Kyle B like this.
  17. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao

18. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I always buy used gear...the older you go the better the wood, at least for Mahogany guitars.

you don't even need to know really anything about music to be in the music business these days...just find a beat and throw some noises on top of it.

19. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

I don't think that it's a hard trend to understand, the huge shift in demographics and societal change that has taken place over the last 30, (or so,) years has played a big part.
    For those who are boomers, or close to it,, they've already got most of what they want.
    Adjusted for inflation, wages are lower= less disposable income.
    More familys are single parent households= less disposable income.
    Birth rates have tended down, familys are smaller= less new youngsters wanting to get into guitar.
    The single largest source of population increase has been among immigrants, and most of them have many more pressing things to do besides spending money on guitars.
    So,, the cheaper stuff sells, (it always does,) but the higher-end stuff sits around.

fretless likes this.
  20. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

If $2400 is inexpensive, what did the pricey ones go for?

Baxtercat likes this.