• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Electric guitar with out band?

oldman22

I use to be in a band but now that we are disbanded I don't find electric guitar as fun. I play acoustic guitar all the time and I still get that excitement. I think the main problem is that the tone spectrum on electric guitar with out a band just isn't as full and it always feels like something is missing. Is there any artists out there that just play electric solo without a backing? If so what artists? I need some inspiration because my electric guitar playing is really failing compared to my acoustic playing. :JAM:huh

h3yn0w

Joe Pass?

Every instrument is more fun in a band

Why not try playing to jam tracks, backing tracks, etc?

HendrixVibrato

Have some experience...
I used to do a LOT of solo electric guitar work, also as a duo with an acoustic guitar player - had a LOT of fun.

Sure, playing in a hot band is the greatest - but a close second is solo electric work, or duo electric & acoustic guitar work, as you are so UNLIMITED - you can play darn near *anything*.

It will do wonders for your vocabulary, as well as for your tone.

Think of the wonderful presentations you can do of your own original material - to say nothing of things like, for example, how Beck did People Get Ready - or Stevie's Riviera Paradise - some Toto material, a version of Classical Gas, or some Jose F. stuff - some Jean Luc Ponty - Santana - Joe Pass - Charlie Christian - Django - something - it can be ANYTHING - that takes some real ability, and do it WELL.

Always remember - People love to hear just about anything that takes some real talent, played well. If you can do *that*, then you can play anything you want, virtually anywhere you want - and it will go over.

That said - in my experience, most electric guitar players used to playing in bands usually just don't have the understanding, ability or the vocabulary to be able to do solo electric work these days, in many cases not even duo stuff - working with an acoustic player (electric & acoustic duo).

Don't be one of those.

I've got another opinion for you - if you can't cut it as a solo electric player, then chances are you aren't exactly going to be exciting, compelling or inspiring to hear in solo acoustic format, either. And if you can't do *that* - then what's the ever-loving point of playing out AT ALL? The world is already chock-full of hacks pulling down a pretty easy $50K-$75K a year in cash doing acoustic solo work (that makes most musicians want to puke).

Don't be one of those, either.

Hey, I don't know you, so don't take ANY of this as any kind of insult, that is NOT my intention at all, ok? I'm talking to you player to player, straight up. And the reality is, I think you probably already know everything I am saying. :)

You want/need inspiration on your electric? Great idea, I couldn't agree more, we ALL need some inspiration from time to time. Just think of the tunes that excite you on electric, with a band - those SAME tunes, in many cases, if your band pulled them off *well* - can go over solo electric, too - though obviously you will need to do different arrangements on your parts. And doing this will do *wonders* for your tone and vocabulary, by learning to both leave spaces open, AND to fill spaces you didn't think you could previously - by doing solo electric.

You will learn to better create drama - tension and release are so key to any player's work, if they are a *real* player - but even moreso doing any kind of solo work. A guy with an acoustic guitar playing/singing the same things we've all heard everyone else do poorly is in really bad taste, and brings down the entire art form, IMHO - in fact, most solo acoustic acts I can't stand, due to a sore lack of talent. Talent *ain't* being able to tune a guitar and learn tunes out of songbooks, and then go do them live somewhere - virtually anyone that is not tone-deaf can (and unfortunately does) do that.

I LIKE how you are thinking of doing some solo electric work - every song that has ever really moved or excited you, figure out how to do it solo electric, as 98% of the time it CAN be done and done well - AND GO DO IT!

Opinionated bastard, ain;t I? Sorry 'bout that. :)

Good luck & let us know how it goes!

guitarz1972

I used to do a LOT of solo electric guitar work, also as a duo with an acoustic guitar player - had a LOT of fun.

Sure, playing in a hot band is the greatest - but a close second is solo electric work, or duo electric & acoustic guitar work, as you are so UNLIMITED - you can play darn near *anything*.

It will do wonders for your vocabulary, as well as for your tone.

Think of the wonderful presentations you can do of your own original material - to say nothing of things like, for example, how Beck did People Get Ready - or Stevie's Riviera Paradise - some Toto material, a version of Classical Gas, or some Jose F. stuff - some Jean Luc Ponty - Santana - Joe Pass - Charlie Christian - Django - something - it can be ANYTHING - that takes some real ability, and do it WELL.

Always remember - People love to hear just about anything that takes some real talent, played well. If you can do *that*, then you can play anything you want, virtually anywhere you want - and it will go over.

That said - in my experience, most electric guitar players used to playing in bands usually just don't have the understanding, ability or the vocabulary to be able to do solo electric work these days, in many cases not even duo stuff - working with an acoustic player (electric & acoustic duo).

Don't be one of those.

I've got another opinion for you - if you can't cut it as a solo electric player, then chances are you aren't exactly going to be exciting, compelling or inspiring to hear in solo acoustic format, either. And if you can't do *that* - then what's the ever-loving point of playing out AT ALL? The world is already chock-full of hacks pulling down a pretty easy $50K-$75K a year in cash doing acoustic solo work (that makes most musicians want to puke).

Don't be one of those, either.

Hey, I don't know you, so don't take ANY of this as any kind of insult, that is NOT my intention at all, ok? I'm talking to you player to player, straight up. And the reality is, I think you probably already know everything I am saying. :)

You want/need inspiration on your electric? Great idea, I couldn't agree more, we ALL need some inspiration from time to time. Just think of the tunes that excite you on electric, with a band - those SAME tunes, in many cases, if your band pulled them off *well* - can go over solo electric, too - though obviously you will need to do different arrangements on your parts. And doing this will do *wonders* for your tone and vocabulary, by learning to both leave spaces open, AND to fill spaces you didn't think you could previously - by doing solo electric.

You will learn to better create drama - tension and release are so key to any player's work, if they are a *real* player - but even moreso doing any kind of solo work. A guy with an acoustic guitar playing/singing the same things we've all heard everyone else do poorly is in really bad taste, and brings down the entire art form, IMHO - in fact, most solo acoustic acts I can't stand, due to a sore lack of talent. Talent *ain't* being able to tune a guitar and learn tunes out of songbooks, and then go do them live somewhere - virtually anyone that is not tone-deaf can (and unfortunately does) do that.

I LIKE how you are thinking of doing some solo electric work - every song that has ever really moved or excited you, figure out how to do it solo electric, as 98% of the time it CAN be done and done well - AND GO DO IT!

Opinionated bastard, ain;t I? Sorry 'bout that. :)

Good luck & let us know how it goes!
^Good advice here. Great post.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom