Electric guitars with 1.75" nut?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mattnodder, May 22, 2008.

1. mattnodder

mattnodder Member

Can anyone help me out by pointing out any electric guitars apart from Rickenbacker which make electric guitars with a 1 3/4" nut.
    I really like the wide nut width, but havnt seen any guitars apart from rickenbackers which have it.
    Many thanks.

jjboogie likes this.
  2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I thought rickenbackers had notoriously narrow nuts last time I checked...

Either way, Warmoth offers an extra wide neck that has a 1.75" nut width. You can just slap on of those on a guitar and be good to go.

3. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

The Ric 650, 660, and now discontinued 380L's all have 1.75" nuts. The rest are horrendously (IMO) narrow though with equally narrow bridge spacing. Their necks tend to be on the skimpy side too. Beautiful & extremely high quality guitars though, but man I wish they'd do something about the necks. :(

I personally need/want wider necked guitars as I have big hands & long fingers, but there aren't many out there unfortunately. Here's a short list I can recall off the top of my head:

- the aforementioned Rics of course :D
    - most if not all Eastman guitars
    - Gretsch 6122-1959
    - Gadow guitars has done quite a few (but they're small & essentially boutique)
    - a few Agile "wide" models from Rondo music
    - Hofner Verythin
    - Gibson/Epiphone Chet Atkins Tennessean (I think that's the model name)
    - G&L guitars with their #3 neck, but I can't recall ever seeing one (I'm sure they exist though...right? :confused:)
    - Fender CS Seymour Duncan Esquire (I'm pretty sure this had a 1.75" neck; rare as hens teeth too)

There may be others, but that's all that come to mind at the moment. Maybe others can chime in. Of course you can go the custom built route as well and companies like Heritage and of course smaller boutique builders will do wider necks. But it'll have to be custom ordered most likely and be rather pricey.

What I'm going to do one of these days is go the partscaster route and probably get a big ol' honkin' wide/chunky neck from USACG (or maybe Warmoth) and build up something.

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

The Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean model has that nut width I believe.

6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Carvin Holsworth Fatboy is one. I have a gorgeous G&L Comanche with their 1 3/4" nut width option. I'm not using it - PM me if curious.

7. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

1 3/4" is a cool feel for sure, but tough to find on production guitars.

That Fleming is way cool!

8. STRATSofPLENTY

STRATSofPLENTY Supporting Member

i have a Comins archtop with 1.75" nut. I like it better than my other guitars

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I believe the Epi version of the Country Gentleman has the wide nut, too.
    I have palyed a CG and the wide nut is very nice. I also have a Seagull acoustic with a wide nut and really think it has advantages for anybody unless your fingers are tiny.

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

ESP do quite a few.

12. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Ah, I forgot about that one. I believe the Bolt Kit guitars have a wider neck on them too. Or at least they used to at some point maybe. :confused:

None of their regular production guitars do. They're all 42mm nuts (essentially 1 11/16"), but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem from their CS. Their CS stuff is as good as it gets though. A friend of mine has several and they're fantastic although not really my thing.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/original/index.html

13. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I had two of their Bolt necks many years ago, both were 1 11/16" wide.

14. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

My '64 strat has a 'D-width' neck, 1 7/8 inch. Haven't seen too many of those, actually I've never seen another. The PRS wide-fat neck is also much wider at 1 11/16.

15. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Oh, hmm...I could've sworn I've seen some listed as wider than that. My mistake.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Heritage offers them. My Sweet 16 is a 1.75 and Jay Wolfe has a few other models in stock, including some H-535s

17. soapbar-strat

soapbar-strat Member

Rondo sells SX Gibby-style guitars with a 1 3/4 nut width but on their site it says 1 5/8. Their not a high quality guitar or anything but cheap enough to work with, worth what they cost anyway. The strats and teles though are 1 11/16 , again incorrectly listed as 1 5/8.

18. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

There are a bunch of 12's that are 1.75".
    You could convert one of those to a six-string.

I love my RIC 380L with the wide neck.

By the way, wide necks are not only good for people with large hands. They're even more helpful for people with small to average sized hands who are not excellent players (like me!). They provide a lot more "margin for error" in not muting adjacent strings.

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

I have a Breedlove with a 1 7/8ths neck. its great! If i could only get that on all my electrics. Although whatever my Parkers are, id love that on all the guitars as well.

20. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Johnny Winter used a Fender Electric XII coverted to six strings for the slide playing on his first album..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f50BtRnpV8A