• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Electric left hand wrist position

dcarroll

Hi All,

I have been playing for 6 years now, using the rock blues thumb over approach.

Has anyone switched over to a more classical wrist position? I really have a hard time getting my pink out and about with the rock grip?

Do you go back and forth between them? I noticed that EJ does that a lot.

Cheers!

JonR

Hi All,

I have been playing for 6 years now, using the rock blues thumb over approach.

Has anyone switched over to a more classical wrist position? I really have a hard time getting my pink out and about with the rock grip?

Do you go back and forth between them? I noticed that EJ does that a lot.

Cheers!
I think you know the answer to this one. You've identified a problem, and (correctly) guessed the solution.

There is really no one wrist position that's good for everything. Stay flexible, and use whatever hand position you need.

Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert almost always play thumb over but it goes up and down alot - peekaboo thumb. Angled fingers and palm touching the bottom of the neck except for big chords/stretches. I hurt my wrist really bad with the classical left hand style and as far as I can tell I was doing it right. Forcing myself to play like Yngwie blues style ( or violin style you could say ) immediately felt good and I can play fast for hours without hurting my wrist. I think maybe with classical position you have to find one very extremely specific position to play in that wont hurt your wrist. But with Yngwie position you can play in alot of varieties of positions and never hurt your wrist. I like it so much Im thinking about changing my fingerings so I never play away from the neck - 4 string chords max and never stretch more than a major 3rd except on the high E - a 4th.

Last edited:

MatthiasYoung

The focus of classical position is the angle of the fingers and the wrist to the fretboard. The neck is much wider, so the thumb really can't wrap around the neck anyway.

On whatever guitar you're playing, get your wrist straight and fingers angled properly, and just keep your thumb relaxed. It should end up roughly behind where the middle finger is, but depending on the width of the neck, type of chord/scale, and fretboard position, there can be some variation in this.

Trending Topics