Electric Mandolin

Eric Pykala

Godin makes a mando that looks very much like a Tele. It also has an LR Baggs pickup and preamp, and happens to sound and play great. It's a really serious players instrument. If you need Tone and playability without killing your bank account, this is the One. -Eric

Cool guys! For some reason I have an image of a baby tele stuck in my head. Maybe I saw it at a guitar show or something.

Jim Soloway

It's is not Tele shape, but Dave Wendler's electroCoustic would definitely be my first choice if I was shopping for an electric mandolin. Here's a shot from his site.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
Ricky Skaggs used to play a custom Joe Glaser "Mandocaster" that was a 4 string electric mandolin that looked like a baby tele.

Probably be some serious $$ to have him make another.

gennation

daddyo said:
Epi makes a cool Firebird mando for low bones - under $500.
A buddy of mine has one of those. Pretty sweet actually. If I recall right though...it's a 4-string, without the duo's. I may be wrong, but if looking at that take it nto concideration, or notice it.

Tonekat

Silver Supporting Member
gennation said:
A buddy of mine has one of those. Pretty sweet actually. If I recall right though...it's a 4-string, without the duo's. I may be wrong, but if looking at that take it nto concideration, or notice it.
I'm pleased to say Epi now makes an 8-string version of the Firebird-shaped "MandoBird", and it came out just when I needed one. I didn't want a 4 string electric, because, you know, it doesn 't get the mando sound. I'm happy, I can run it through my effects/amp, and best of all, I wasn't spending above my ability threshold!

:AOK

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Silver Supporting Member
I've got one of those Blue Star Mandoblasters. They've gone up in price quite a bit since I got mine! It's a fun little piece, but I haven't touched it in years. Mine doesn't have the slight cut-out on the upper 'horn' so it looks more like a Tele. Well, a silver swirly Tele, anyway. :D

snarkle

george4908 said:
Not exactly Tele-shaped, but why quibble when it's as cool as this:

Joseph Yanuziello is worth checking out:

http://www.yanuziello.com/index.html
+1 on Joe Yanuziello's work...I've had Fender, Epiphone, Odyssey, Framus, and Gibson electric mandolins and sold them all after receiving my Yanuziello. It's the only one that's given me a satisfying mandolin sound in a band context. And Joe's workmanship is impeccable.

I should add that I bought my Yanuziello mandolin used, after previously buying a guitar from Joe. When the mandolin arrived from the shipper, the pickup was defective...and Joe gave me a new pickup, free. Now THAT's customer service!

Trending Topics