Electric Sitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by James Knox, Jun 17, 2006.

1. James Knox

James Knox Member

I am looking at Jerry Jones electric Sitars, possibly the "Baby Sitar". Does anybody have one and do you like it?

I have also seen Rogue and Agile electric sitars for $300-$360 on eBay. Is the quality of the "whirring bridge" any good on those?

I'm hooked on a feelin' down in Monterey...

Peace,

James

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the electric sitar - one of my fave guitar variations, ever, and I use mine all the time. The Jerry Jones is really worth saving for - the other cheaper ones I have played and they're nowhere close to the kind of build quality you get in a JJ. I've also played many of the original Corals - I'd stay away from them too, because not only have most of them not aged very well, but they're going for ridiculous collector prices now.

That said, if you can find an older JJ, they're a tad better IMHO than the brand new ones, but the new ones are real good. The older ones had black finished necks - the newer ones have satin finished natural maple necks. I don't know too much about the Baby Sitars, other than I've played them and I vastly prefer the 'Master', the one with the extra 'zither' string setup, but they're cool for what they are.

I wanted one ever since I heard Steve Howe play one on Close To The Edge, but you can hear it all over those older R&B records like Signed, Sealed, Delivered and various Stylistics tracks from the 70's.

Anyway, love the electric sitar. Love Jerry Jones guitars (four so far...). Anyone want to talk about either, I'm there.....

3. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I was thinking I'd just seen one on the Eastwood site, but I was wrong. What I saw was a Rondo Agile Sitar

http://www.rondomusic.net/sitar.html

I've never been interested in the things, so I have no idea how close it is to the original ones

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I played both the Rondo and the JJ the other day. They were both good at copping the sound. With that said, I only played them for about ten minutes each and was struck with one things off the bat: that's a lot of effort to get a variation on one sound and still have it merely sound somewhat like the real thing . . . therefor, why not just get the real thing?

Sitars can be had for cheap if you know anybody going to India . . . at least that's what I have heard.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Because the sitar is strictly a single-line instrument. You can't play chordally on it at all. Yes, I have one. Yes, I studied it briefly. Hell, they're cheap here. You can get a student model for under $500.

To me, the electric sitar is not a substitute for a sitar. I would never use it to imitate Indian music, just as Steve Howe didn't, Reggie Young didn't, Vinnie Bell didn't, Pat Metheny didn't, etc, etc,...it's its own thing. And as such, I love it & couldn't live without it.

6. alberob

alberob Member

I bought a Roque for $230 shiping included.It a total blast with a totally different take on the guitars we love.I always wanted one after hearing Skunk Baxter play one on "Do It Again":rotflmao

7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

That was Denny Dias.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

Anybody have clips of one?

9. not_so_new

not_so_new Member

So, old thread I know but..... are the Agile Electric Sitar's any good?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sitar.html

I don't need "the best" electric sitar I just want something that sounds good and stays in tune. I know that the JJ is probably better but I don't have the cash right now.

Thanks in advance.

10. not_so_new

not_so_new Member

Bump... anyone?

:horse

:BEER

Thanks...

11. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/JJSitar.mp3

I Would recommend the standard coral-type Sitar from Jerry Jones over the baby. It's a little more expensive, though not much. The thing is, all of the classic coral sitar sounds you hear on old records are the bridge and middle position pickups together, and you can't quite reproduce that on the baby.

12. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have a Jerry Jones Supreme Sitar. I like it.

13. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

It looks identical to the Rogue, which is a great guitar for the money.

14. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Is "Within You Without You" a real Sitar or a western thing a ma Vox gig

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

No, that was a 'real' sitar. George studied it with Ravi Shankar. The 'electric sitar' wasn't around until slightly after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_sitar

16. takakat

takakat Member

I play my guitar through Roland GR-20 guitar synthesizer and it comes with a couple sitar tracks and you don't need to lean a new instrument.
    I played The Beatles Noweigian Wood the other night and I had a compliment from an Indian guy in audience that he could not believe that sound came from my guitar:)