Electric strings: Currently use D'Addario EXL110s, but....

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
...maybe thinking about trying something new. Seems like the last few batches of these I've had seem to never stay in tune, or take forever to stretch out.

What are some other .10-.46 strings that you guys use, and what do you like about them?

I play mainly classic rock rhythm guitar on Humbucker equipped guitars.

Last edited:

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
...maybe thinking about trying something new. Seems like the last few batches of these I've had seem to never stay in tune, or take forever to stretch out.

What are some other .10-.46 strings that you guys use, and what do you like about them?

I play mainly classic rock rhythm guitar on Humbucker equipped guitars.
Someone recently told me that they loved Dean Markley Blue Steel 2556...anyone tried these???

Stratobuc

Curt Mangan. They last longer than anything else, sound great from installation, and don't break.

Coop47

Arent the new NYXL strings supposed to be ridiculous at staying in tune?
I got to beta test them, and they were great at staying in tune. Sounded a little dark and lacked the sparkle of EXL110's, so I wound up going back to those.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I use GHS Boomers for the most part. I mow through a lot of strings. I bend a lot and live near the beach. The Boomers have an appealing clarity to my ears especially with humbucking pickups.

I like the D'addarios too, but the Boomers I like just a bit better. I really like the sound of pure nickle like the snake oils, Magnans, especially on stock Fenders, etc. but I'm too cheap for spendy strings.

I do think the Elixers are kind of nice for a guitar that doesn't get played all the time. I have a couple of older guitars that I don't get around to enough, and it's nice to open the case and find functionality instead of corroded dead strings.

gearscrubs

I switched from EXL110s to Elixirs, then most recently to the EXP110s. Like them so far, and longer lasting than the XL110s.

GTBJ

Mangan strings are great, and GHS are really nice thick and bright sounding strings too.

I don't know how people tolerate the horrible tension imbalance of 10-46 sets to begin with, but that isn't the topic at hand and clearly most people are ok with it.

GTBJ

10 or 11-52 is a lot closer to the mark as far as standard sets go. AFAIC, a steady increase in tension from high e to low E gives a more consistent feel and helps me with dynamic control.

It's all personal preference and if you're used to 10-46 and like them, then there's no reason to look elsewhere.

I started using graduated/progression tension sets a while back and now regular sets feel awful to me. If you're interested in trying something like this, check out ZOG or Kalium for some really well thought out sets. The ZOG website is "interesting", but the strings are the real deal. I've not tried Kalium yet, purely due to the cost of shipping them to Aus.

10-46

E: .010" [PL] = 16.21 pounds
B: .013" [PL] = 15.38 pounds
G: .017" [PL] = 16.57 pounds
D: .026" [NW] = 18.41 pounds
A: .036" [NW] = 19.54 pounds
E: .046" [NW] = 17.48 pounds
11-52

E: .011" [PL] = 19.62 pounds
B: .015" [PL] = 20.48 pounds
G: .019" [PL] = 20.70 pounds
D: .028" [NW] = 21.30 pounds
A: .038" [NW] = 21.58 pounds
E: .052" [NW] = 22.01 pounds
I don't want to hijack the thread though, so I'll leave it there.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
10 or 11-52 is a lot closer to the mark as far as standard sets go. AFAIC, a steady increase in tension from high e to low E gives a more consistent feel and helps me with dynamic control.

It's all personal preference and if you're used to 10-46 and like them, then there's no reason to look elsewhere.

I started using graduated/progression tension sets a while back and now regular sets feel awful to me. If you're interested in trying something like this, check out ZOG or Kalium for some really well thought out sets. The ZOG website is "interesting", but the strings are the real deal. I've not tried Kalium yet, purely due to the cost of shipping them to Aus.

10-46

11-52

I don't want to hijack the thread though, so I'll leave it there.
Interesting stuff, and as the author of the OP, I don't mind hearing more on this if others are inclined to chime in.

shoepedals

I got to beta test them, and they were great at staying in tune. Sounded a little dark and lacked the sparkle of EXL110's, so I wound up going back to those.
I usually use dunlop nickel wound 10-46s but my favorite guitar shop got some NYXL in recently and I was thinking of trying them on a guitar or two to see what they sound like. Though I don't have too much trouble staying in tune, usually.

Wasn't a fan of the mangans I tried. I dunno, they felt sort of rubbery to me or something and they also sounded darker than what I was looking for, at least on the set I tried).

Trending Topics