Electric Surf, Tiki, and Spaghetti Western music

Because I grew up in the 60’s, I think about these genres a lot but have never quite known how to create a thread that would include them all. The guitars used obviously originated from the day which many times were by today’s standards may be considered odd, less popular, eccentric or unconventional. I bought this Tiki Bird new in 2013 and it has served me very well for these purposes. For these genres I feel the key elements needed are a unique tone and a vibrato system. What other guitars do you all use that lends itself to these niche styles?

Jeff Senn

Jaguar, Mid 60's Teiscos, Mosrite, Gretsch and even an Epiphone Sorrento with mini-humbuckers have worked great for me for these styles.
The better made Teiscos (actual Teiscos, not all the other Japanese guitars incorrectly lumped in as Teiscos) are some of my favorites for this music.
Vintage Guyatone guitars are and were good candidates, look up the Sharp 5, band and guitar.
Stratocasters work great - Dick Dale and more recently Ivan Pongracic with the Madeira.
Check out some Eleki music as well. I'd suggest starting with Takeshi Terauchi or Yuzo Kayama.
Both played Mosrites.

Fun stuff!

navigate40

Great subject. Big fan of surf rock.

Some of the greats:

Dick Dale - Strat
The Shadows - strats
The Ventures - Mosrite, Jazzmaster
The Chantays - strats and others
The Sandals (Endless Summer) - John Blakeley - Jazzmaster
The Surfaris - strats and Jazzmaster
The Beach Boys - strats, Jaguar
The Lively Ones - Jaguars (?)
Johnny Fortune, The Soul Surfer - Gretsch
Duane Eddy (proto surf) - Gretsch

More modern bands:

Martin Cilia (The Atlantics, Australia) - strat, Les Paul, Jazzmaster
Jason Lee - Gretsch

But, no reason any good electric guitar cannot be used for surf. I play surf on a tele but will be switching to a Gretsch (not that anyone listens LOL)

BTW, that tiki bird is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Great subject. Big fan of surf rock.

Some of the greats:

Dick Dale - Strat
The Shadows - strats
The Ventures - Mosrite, Jazzmaster
The Chantays - strats and others
The Sandals (Endless Summer) - John Blakeley - Jazzmaster
The Surfaris - strats and Jazzmaster
The Beach Boys - strats, Jaguar
The Lively Ones - Jaguars (?)
Johnny Fortune, The Soul Surfer - Gretsch
Duane Eddy (proto surf) - Gretsch

More modern bands:

Martin Cilia (The Atlantics, Australia) - strat, Les Paul, Jazzmaster
Jason Lee - Gretsch

But, no reason any good electric guitar cannot be used for surf. I play surf on a tele but will be switching to a Gretsch (not that anyone listens LOL)

BTW, that tiki bird is gorgeous!
What he said. :aok

Personally, I feel a reverb unit and the right amp will get you there better than just a guitar.

Stratocasters work great - Dick Dale and more recently Ivan Pongracic with the Madeira.
I've met Ivan when the Madeira has played at the Melody Inn in Indianapolis a few times. He not only has the chops, but he seems like a genuinely nice person too. :aok

He's a regular on SurfGutar 101.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
PRS 277 SE Baritone ( semi hollow with soap bar pickups ) for Spaghetti Western.
Jazzmaster
Telecaster

Hulakatt

Supporting Member
A Gretsch or Mosrite would my first call for any of those styles but I get by just fine with a good strat.

NashSG

I don't think you would want to set up your amp like Zakk Wylde or anything, but I think you can get there with most guitar gear. I think that splatty and raunchy sound is easier to find with single coil pickups in general, but I can get a pretty good surf twang with my 2hb swamp ash tele parts guitar.

At that point, it's really more about how the amp is setup and what effects you use.

I have been playing with these types of tones at house and been mixing my Mesa F50s spring reverb with the echo off of a Keeley 30MS 'doubler' to get a sense of 'physical space' in the sound.

While music like this has some specific tones used there is a variety, I think the big thing is melody and minor chord progressions.