Electricamps

iitrebor

Silver Supporting Member
Trying to find some objective reviews/opinions on these bad boys. I have been in the market for an orange or matamp for sometime. I would like to know if these are a viable alternative. What's the tone and build quality like? How do they compare to the amps of old that these babies appear to be heavily influenced by? Thanks!!!

alaskagrown

My roommate has one, and I've played it fully cranked at a couple band practices. It's very similar to my Matamp, but MORE of everything. It's like a Matamp/Orange on steroids. The build quality is superior to anything I've seen aside from Hiwatts and their clones. That being said, I don't own one because of their cost and wait time. My roommate waited almost a year and a half for his, and payed over $3000 for a half stack. That might not be much for some, but while Matamps are less than half the price, I'll stick with them.

norska

Silver Supporting Member
I have had amps from Matamp, Electric, Orange, and Hiwatt. I can say one thing for these...they are loud!! They were my least favorite out of the bunch by far. Hiwatt being number 1. I have owned 7 different matamps and really like them once they get overhauled with mercury iron. they all ahve a really square mid range that I kind of like. for the money, I would go matamp personally unless you could find a vintage Hiwatt for cheap.

iitrebor

Silver Supporting Member
I have had amps from Matamp, Electric, Orange, and Hiwatt. I can say one thing for these...they are loud!! They were my least favorite out of the bunch by far. Hiwatt being number 1. I have owned 7 different matamps and really like them once they get overhauled with mercury iron. they all ahve a really square mid range that I kind of like. for the money, I would go matamp personally unless you could find a vintage Hiwatt for cheap.
I have a vintage Hiwatt! A 1972 DR504 to be exact. I love it. It is super clean though. I am looking for something along the lines of an 70s Orange Overdrive or a later 70s Matamp GT120. I have played the old Orange Overdrives and I have heard a later 70s Matamp GT120 in person. They have very cool tube-driven overdrive tones. I have also heard an earlier 70s GT120 which was quite clean like my Hiwatt. Maybe the later was modded. Who knows?

Trending Topics