Electricity problems at a local clubs knock out my digital delay

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by McStrats, Feb 26, 2012.

1. McStrats

McStrats Member

Saturday night we set up at a club I've played a bunch of times. There's only one 20 amp circuit to power everything. The other night as soon as my band mate plugged the light tree into the same strip as my amp and pedal board I started getting almost like a oscillating sound from my amp. I narrowed the cause down to my TC Electronic Nova Delay. ( I would have posted this in the effects section but its more of a live sound issue). I unplugged the lights and the problem went away. I ended up taking the delay off the board as the funky electricity made it wig out, even when it was turned off. In fact, even when the delay was off (but still in line) the throbbing sound went silent and I ended up with no sound at all until I took it completely out of the chain.

I'm inclined to think that I need a power conditioner...anyone agree with this?and anyone have a recommendation as to which one I should look at?

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

You need a voltage regulator, not a power conditioner.

3. McStrats

McStrats Member

Thanks for the answer. It's plugged into a VoodooLab PP2. Isn't that a regulator of sorts, or do I need an external one?

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

The PP2 converts 120VAC to 9 and 12VDC, a voltage regulator ensures that all of the gear plugged into it receives a steady 120V, even if the line voltage going into it fluctuates.

If the PP2 receives less than 120V at its input, it will output lower than the 9V or 12V, so your delay will be starved for power and will freak out. Plugging the PP2 into a regulator will give it a steady 120V, so it will output its full rated DC voltages and your delay will be happy.

5. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

keep your lights off your audio circuit!
    i know you said there is only one outlet, but SOMEWHERE there is another one that you can run your lights from. just my .02.

6. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

The problem with even a regulated supply in this scenario is that if the voltage drops below a certain threshold it won't have sufficient voltage to produce a stable 9 VDC, thus it will have ripples in the output that will affect your effects.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. RockHardGuitars

RockHardGuitars Silver Supporting Member

Audio should be on a sep circuit. Many times when I have done live sound, the lighting guy would tap right into the mains of the fuse box. This seems to work well in most situations.

8. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Yes - ut us really important to think about how much power drain you are using at a gig. If you put lights on the same circuits as amps you can also blow breakers very easily during your set - not a good thing.

Just start learning about what kinds of thing take more juice. In general, if they produce a lot of heat (like stage lights do) or are rated in watts in the several hundreds or 1000s - then they eat up a lot of power.

For your TC Electronic - if it is permanently damaged you may be able to reload the firmware. TC is good about that, but especially in their newer pedals.

9. guitarmind

guitarmind Supporting Member

Maybe you could update to LED lights if you frequently play that venue.
    Led's draw a whole lot less juice.

10. McStrats

McStrats Member

Great responses. Thanks everyone. There is another circuit, and we have run an ext cord to it in the past. I definitely will in future too.

Any recommendations on a regulator?

Thanks again!

11. McStrats

McStrats Member

Hmmm..someone pointed out that the Nova Delay is 12V but I'm running it off 9V. I wonder if this has anything to do with it also?