Electro Harmonix 12AX7 - Taking the bad with the good

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Normster, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Normster

Normster Member

I bought my first set of 12AX7EH's from Reverned "matched" for V1 on the Hellhound. The V1 tube was noisy so I ended up not using it. My friend Greg was complaining about noise on his Fuchs-modded Bassman...turned out to be a noisy EH tube in V1. Most recently, I put a set of EH's in my newest d-clone and immediately got static, hiss and crackle from...you guessed it, an EH in V1.

When I was troubleshooting, I stuffed an old Sylvania in V1 and the amp was dead quiet...but totally lifeless. :( I tried a JJ and it was way too harsh with really crappy harmonics. To make a long story short, this amp sounds killer with EH preamp tubes, but the number of noisy tubes I get in a batch is a real PITA.

Anyone else have similar experience, or am I just having a run of bad luck?

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I tried to use only EH 12AX7's in my new builds a few years back with the same results.I won't buy them anymore.I'm presently trying theGT-12AX7-m's and have been pleased with them so far.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I just put 3 in the V1,V2 and V3 of my JSX with no problems. Ive had problems with the JJ ECC803 though 2 out of six went bad(very weak output)

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm not real technical guys, but I play out a lot. I'm real pleased with my EH 12ax7s in my TopHats. No noise problems.

5. Normster

Normster Member

The GOOD ones sound very good. I love the gain and harmonics. In fact, I really haven't found another tube that has the tone I'm going for. There just seems to be a disproportionate number of bad EH tubes floating around out there. The GT-12AX7M is looking mighty attractive, even at $20 a pop.

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

The tube EH gave me to try out works great. I have two GT12ax7Ms that haven't had any problems either, but there are a lot of people that say thoseare problematic as well. I dunno anymore. My fave current production as far as tone is concerned is the Ei but they're not exactly known to be problem free either.

Because of the short plates the good EHs are really quiet. I guess just try to buy from someone who really tests the tubes out. Might be worth it to pay a little more to get tubes that work.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

I've had two amps with all pre-amp tubes being EH with no problems.

What brand pre-amp tubes does the Hellhound normally ship with? Maybe it just doesn't like EH tubes.