• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Electro Harmonix 2880 - what are the downsides?

Laimon

I might be getting one for a comvenient price, but reading the manual and a few threads I found some downsides (but I might - and hopefully will - be wrong).
I am not talking about the lack of switches, of course: I know what the deal is there, and I am ok with it since I actually want it to control it via midi - something that is quite hard to find in other loopers (if you want to suggest alternatives in this regard, feel free).
The main thing that puzzles me is the use of sliders both for volume AND feedback. Does it mean that, say, I record track 1, move on to track 2, and if I keep the volume of track 1 up it will be recorded on track 2 together with my new input? I really hope that's not the case.
Second thing: I saw you can adjust the tempo slider via midi, but that is a bit weird in my view. Can one set the tempo via tap tempo, somehow?
And last (for now): how's the sound quality? I understand that it is not analog through, hence AD/DA conversion happens always, does it affect your tone noticeably?
Looking forward to hear about your experience!

mcnabbanov

its big and expensive.

cant answer your questions as i've never had one but maybe check out the Pigtronix Infinity looper, the Boomerang III

Laimon

its big and expensive.

cant answer your questions as i've never had one but maybe check out the Pigtronix Infinity looper, the Boomerang III
Yes, I know that :p
The thing is: I could be getting it for a bargain price, and I don't care too much about the size because I'll be using it at home for experimenting.
So the focus is really on the usability and sound issues, if any.

I know both the Infinity and the Boomerang, they're also quite expensive...

BukiUki

Hi,
i've been using the 2880 for years now, and the main issue is you only have 1 loop memory, so you have to swap memory cards for different loops.
That and for me the fact the first loop dictates the final loop length is a drag.
All this aside, the sound and functionality are very good, being able to manipulate 4 loop volumes and pan, plus reverse and pitch on the fly is just great, kinda depends how you want to use it!

Laimon

Hi,
i've been using the 2880 for years now, and the main issue is you only have 1 loop memory, so you have to swap memory cards for different loops.
That and for me the fact the first loop dictates the final loop length is a drag.
All this aside, the sound and functionality are very good, being able to manipulate 4 loop volumes and pan, plus reverse and pitch on the fly is just great, kinda depends how you want to use it!
Yeah, having one only loop is quite a drag indeed.
The loop length is not so much of a problem given that I want only to jam on riffs, I can repeat them as far as I need.

pharmacybear

I've owned a Boomerang II and a 2880. I was able to easily jump into the Boomerang. The 2880 was not the case. I think it's a cool pedal, but it worked backwards as to how my brain thinks about looping. Like when you hit "New Loop", it bumped track 1 to track 2, and you started recording on the new track one. Instead of beginning a "New Loop" onto track 2.

Frankly, unless you're getting it stupid cheap, I'd say that there are better loopers out now.

Laimon

I've owned a Boomerang II and a 2880. I was able to easily jump into the Boomerang. The 2880 was not the case. I think it's a cool pedal, but it worked backwards as to how my brain thinks about looping. Like when you hit "New Loop", it bumped track 1 to track 2, and you started recording on the new track one. Instead of beginning a "New Loop" onto track 2.

Frankly, unless you're getting it stupid cheap, I'd say that there are better loopers out now.
220$...I see it for sale new somewhere at still about twice that much.

pharmacybear

That's a good price, but only if you're getting the FS with it too. They're going for about $300 ish now for both. The price rises and falls depending on fads, right now it's at a bit of a low. So $220 for both is a solid price.

Like I said, you'll have to commit to learning how it's designed because IMO some of its functions work opposite to how most other loopers do. I know you brought up MIDI, and I can't say how well it'd work with that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

sksmith66

I want only to jam on riffs, I can repeat them as far as I need.
if you only want to jam on riffs the 2880 would not be my pedal of choice. I'd be looking at something like the boss rc-3. I've owned half a dozen different loopers. I use them all as practice tools. I either lay down a riff and practice over it or load in jam tracks for an entire tune to practice over. the boss rc-3 is by far my favorite looper for that application and it would cost half of the price the 2880 and footswitch is going to cost you.

Laimon

if you only want to jam on riffs the 2880 would not be my pedal of choice. I'd be looking at something like the boss rc-3. I've owned half a dozen different loopers. I use them all as practice tools. I either lay down a riff and practice over it or load in jam tracks for an entire tune to practice over. the boss rc-3 is by far my favorite looper for that application and it would cost half of the price the 2880 and footswitch is going to cost you.
True...but no midi again :(

Laimon

ah I missed that.
No worries :) the thing is, there are a bunch of cool looper pedals out there, even the new ditto would be perfect for my simple looping needs I guess, but midi controllable? The options are really only the aforementioned loopers: EHX 2880 (or 45000, sure), Boomerang and Pigtronix Infinity. The latter cost a kidney even used, this one not so much. Are there other alternatives?

Btw, I still haven't got a reply to my original questions:
- can I record track 1, then record track 2 hearing track 1 but without that going in track 2?
- can I send tap tempo to the unit?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom