Electro Harmonix Analogizer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SetFiretotheHive, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Has anyone gotten it yet? Thinking about adding one after my M9 to add some warmth and thicken the tone slightly...

Be interesting to hear any thoughts or impressions

2. JasonAz

JasonAz Member

sounds gimmicky...but im sure it makes some difference...try it out at the store first

3. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

well obviously lol, no store nearby has them yet :bonk

They are however available online pretty easily, so i figured someone had one on here

4. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

I have one, got it from Sweetwater the other day. I'm still playing with it. First impressions are positive. But I have no idea the best way to run it - before my modeler, after my modeler? Sounds good before, will try it after here soon. I searched this hoping someone else has already shared some wisdom.

5. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Seems a bit gimmicky at first look, but if it works as well as the clips warming up delays etc, the uses could be many, warming up digital effects - cold & thin amps....

6. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I asked about this pedal not long ago on another forum and was told by everyone it was a complete waste of time. I've never tried the pedal myself, so I'll withhold judgement, but it isn't looking so good.

7. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Okay, I just spent a good hour trying this thing with my HD500. Summary - I'm returning it.

It's interesting and I do like the concept. But to my ears, it made fundamental changes to my tone that were not productive. For example, I have very good basic Bassman and Deluxe patches I use as my main tones. The Analogizer took away from the inherent Fender goodness I spent a lot of time working toward.

It also can add a lot of high end content, which distorts when pushed hard. Dialing the high end out is when the "Fender" seems to go away. I tried moving those knobs every possible way. They are very powerful, but I never found a single setting I thought was an improvement.

Now maybe some tone experts will think this sounds "right" - but to me, I felt it was not a good effect. And I really wanted it to work. I'm happy with my HD tones, but I will never give up trying to get more and better.

FYI, I ran the unit in these ways:
    After the output of the HD - total disaster, obviously made to go in front
    At the guitar input with no outboard FX
    With my pedalboard hooked up and tried it both before and after my CMAT Mods compressor
    Same as above after my entire chain (comp plus four boutique ODs)

Note: I usually use the pedalboard, feeling the drives and comps on the HD fall a good bit short of the tones I get using these extra toys. HD handles basic tone, volume pedal, delays, and modulation FX. And wah on the very rare occasions I use one.

The Analogizer doesn't seem all that fussy about where it goes in chain, but I didn't care for the effect regardless.

I'd love to hear from someone who really loves this thing, could be I'm missing something. I won't send it back right yet, waiting for an RA.

8. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

any other experience?