Electro-harmonix Epitome

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flick037, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Flick037

Flick037 Member

Has anyone used/purchased one? I was going to purchase the Micro Pog, when this popped up. It seems interesting, and seems to have many options. What are the pros and cons to it?

2. olkie

olkie Member

Have you tried the 3 pedals that make up the Epitome? I haven't tried the Epitome or the Holy Grail Plus (and wasn't a fan of the regular Holy Grail, but the Plus might fix some of the things I didn't like). I do enjoy the Micro Pog. There's a lot of hate for the Stereo Electric Mistress but I love the tones I get out of mine. So you may or may not like the individual effects.

There was a thread the other day about where should you put an octave effect. I generally want reverb and flange to go after dirt, but my Micro Pog tends to wind up before dirt. Some people like it after though, but are you going to be happy with the routing if you use these effects individually?

It sounds like there is a mode to put the Electric Mistress on the reverb, which strikes me as redundant to the Flerb mode. It also sounds like you can use this as a shimmer reverb, and that might be cool (I don't think most shimmer reverbs have an octave down), but I can't help but feel there are cheaper and/or more flexible options out there if you just want the traditional octave up only shimmer.

I got my micro pog before this came out, and don't feel like I missed out. I have my stereo electric mistress on my guitar board, and I use the micro pog all the time when playing bass. ymmv

3. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

When I moved from digital modeling back to a regular pedalboard 6 months ago, this was the first thing I looked at. I loved the demos, but I couldn't find it used and $400 is a bit steep for a 'try it out' situation.

Here's what I found as a potential issue for me - the inability to put a delay in line. You're locked in to delay coming after the reverb, and I like mine the other way.

The effects themselves sound glorious, but in the end the inability to separate the effects kept me away.

It is a tempting pedal though.

4. Flick037

Flick037 Member

I currently have the triple delay, and I will eventually pick up the nova on top of the triple. I have the HOF reverb and also a Mooer reverb, both of which are coming after the delay. I've been using the POD 500x, and there are times (mainly swells) where I have a reverb in front of the delay and a reverb coming after. I was planning on running the pog just after my drive section. Therefore if I put that in the place where the pog was going to go, it then gives me the option of having that reverb before delay as well. I definitely would end up purchasing a pog, and would also end up with getting another reverb to have before the delay. So it seems that getting this is a good option, seeing as I have more options with this pedal than I would if I bought two separate pedals.